Defective BCD in Confined Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are ever in my neck of the woods around Edison, New Jersey steer clear.

??????? Am I missing the intention in this old post or is it as it sounds?

BTW, congratulations on the certification. I am sure you guys will find a good shop to partner up with.

I am so glad I got lucky. I am the type where if you respond to me and work with me I will reward you.

My LDS has great gear for our classes. They will even let you use Mask, fins, etc.

My big thing with mine (Rhea's Diving in Maryville, TN) is that I have diabetes. Well before starting I e-mailed every one in the area. They were the ONLY ones to respond. Alan worked with me, having me call Dan, etc and told me to get a doctor's note. I did all of that and went in and signed up for classes.

I went ahead and purchased my starting gear feeling no pressure to do so. The gear they let us use in class is awesome and I was able to try out a few things. I will be buying from them the rest of the gear as I found gear that is VERY comfortable and I like all the features (after pouring over the internet).

It is all in finding a good LDS and it sounds like you guys finally found one.

??????? Am I missing the intention in this old post or is it as it sounds?

BTW, congratulations on the certification. I am sure you guys will find a good shop to partner up with.

Steve ... I just want to clarify something. That was not directed at you but rather to any potential customers of this said LDS. Sorry if I misunderstood your comment. It's all good.

I just stumbled across this (rather dated now) thread, but you made the right decision all around. TRAINING is job number one for anyone in this business. Gear sales should be secondary. We will be happy to sell you anything you want, but we want to make sure you are comfortable using it, and it is the right piece of equipment for you. The only equipment you should need to buy prior to class are mask, fins and snorkle, and that is only if you do not already own them, or they are not suitable for diving. The gear you rent should be modern, in good condition, and should fit and function properly. We will put you in our equipment, hoping you will buy it from us later, but you will see us dive a variety of gear for a variety of situations (some we carry in a retail capacity, and some we don't). Most of all, don't feel pressured by a specific LDS. There are a lot of others out there, and with the internet, you do not have to be next door. Make sure you are happy with the quality of training you are offered. A poorly trained diver is a risk to himself, and everyone he gets into the water with.

Agreed. I know it's kind of dated now but I'm hoping that others will learn from our experience or at least be mindful of what LDS' tell people when they first walk through the door. I, personally, had no issues with their training and I truly felt that the instructors were very good and really took their time with each student even with limited time during our confined dives at the local YMCA. Our biggest issue was with the LDS policy of buying equipment through their shop which I won't rehash anymore.

Anyway, we found another shop which we are happy to do business with. I guess it's too bad for the first LDS for being so short-sighted. :no:

Well, FWIW I am very glad I did not qualify in the US of A, if this is how (some) LDS operate. I am a Brit in Dubai (though did spend 3 years in California, until 2002). I fully understand the need to make money, but it is really underhand to not publish the 'if you get your gear here, the class is cheaper' deal!

In Dubai (at least the schools I know of), they don't require any gear as a prerequisite; though they recommend that snorkel, mask and fins are purchased (from anywhere!) before the open water dives, just for familiarity. The way they offer discount is on the gear, not the lessons. This seems like a much fairer approach than that described be the OP.

I've approached my instructor with this issue and he said they really can't do anything with it since it's the only size they had available that would fit me (it's a M/L).
I would suggest that you approach them and suggest that it is time for them to retire the BC you are using and put a new one from stock into the rental pool.

You also commented about, perhaps, using a BP/W. If you have a BP/W and that's what you are going to be using, they shouldn't have any problem with you using it in class (as long as it is good working order and is appropriate for the diving conditions in your area).

If the BP/W comment was to imply that you might buy a BC. Buying your own BC and using it in the class would put you a step closer to having your own equipment and being comfortable with it.

It's a non-issue now since we cut bait and moved to another LDS, but, I did complain at the time regarding the BC. You would think that they would do something about it but they didn't. 99.9% of the time scuba folks preach about fit and comfort. I guess this LDS is the 0.01% exception.

Our LDS has pretty decent equipment for rentals and class use. The BC my wife had looked reasonably new, worked properly, and appeared well-cared for. I used my own BC for the class, which I had purchased from the classifieds here. Even though I'd had it checked out by the LDS, I noticed when we got in the pool that the inflation/deflation controls weren't sealing completely. It was easy enough to tell when the deflation was leaking, and usually tapping it once or twice would stop it, but the inflation just continued to slowly fill the BC.

The tech at the LDS asked if I'd had service done to it, or just a check-out. I had him do the service (I'd only had it checked, and with a slow leak, it probably wasn't too noticeable), and he cleaned and applied new o-ring grease (or whatever it is they're supposed to do) to the controls. The deflator now seals solid every time, but the next day in class, it was still self-inflating, though much slower than before. It made it rather interesting to do the buoyancy exercises (though I got real used to using my controls to let air out of the BC...).

I'm glad I used it in class, though, because I'd rather find this out in confined water dive rather than deal with it in open water. The BC is back with the tech at the LDS, and he's going to see if there is anything more he can do with the inflator control, or if I'll be better off just buying a new inflator hose/control assembly. I don't have a problem with it either way, but if he thinks he managed to fix the inflator, I'm definitely going to ask if I can hook it to a tank and make sure it's not still leaking before we head to Mexico in two weeks.

... and he cleaned and applied new o-ring grease (or whatever it is they're supposed to do) to the controls.... but the next day in class, it was still self-inflating....The BC is back with the tech at the LDS, and he's going to see if there is anything more he can do with the inflator control, or if I'll be better off just buying a new inflator hose/control assembly...

Now that it is in his hands again, it's a bit late for this advice... I might not understand the sequence of events here, but this is the simplest of any and all SCUBA gear fixes. Sounds like he botched it the first go round.

Most complaints such as yours involve 6 minutes max and either cleaning or simply replacing a very inexpensive part- likely the Schrader Valve- yes the same one as in your car or bike tires, the "short" type. If you are mechanically inclined, watch over his shoulder as he does this so you'll know how it's done. It does not involve higher mathematics or rokkit siyunse. :doctor:

Take a read: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-60393.html

It's good that you noticed the BC slowly filling. It was one of the first lessons :doh: I learned as an Instructor when my otherwise perfect buoyancy student kept popping to the surface :eyebrow: every 4 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom