Trip Report Deepstation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_divo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently finished a big project, so I had some time yesterday to kick off the 2023 season with a trip to the local dive pool, Deepstation (<--check out their website) or @deepstation.kr or #deepstation on IG. I had previously dived K26 (these were my thoughts).

Deepstation is much closer to my house, newer and, at 36m, 10m deeper than K26, so I was keen to check it out. Both of these really cater to freedivers who want to practice in a warm, safe environment. However, they also do scuba packages and have rentals available, just be aware scuba will probably be in the minority.
20230526_084844000_iOS.jpg

The Package
For W44,000 (weekdays) or W66,000 (weekends) you get a reserved 3hr session, which includes arrival & reception; heading up to the change rooms for a pre-dive shower (required); heading down to the first floor for the dive where you deal with rentals/tanks/weights/required bathing caps depending on your needs, gear check, dive, exit & clean gear; then head upstairs for another shower before leaving. You need to return your key before the end of your 3-hour session.

For another W60,000 you can rent-a-buddy (local instructor/divemaster) if you're diving alone that day as I was or want a guide to take you and a buddy down (adding more than 2 divers with the buddy costs more money). This wasn't available when they first opened, but they have added it now. If diving with a buddy, the 3hr session includes a briefing where you sit down and plan the dive. My divemaster had a picture of the facility and its various levels (2.5m, 5m, 10m, 20m and 36M) and we discussed what I wanted to accomplish and worked out a simple dive plan. In my case it was just check out my gear before getting in the ocean get back in the water after a few months away. Here's my guy:

PARA0020.JPG

Reservation and Diver Density
Reservations in advance are required as they use these to control how many people are in the pool at any given time. I reserved for 11:00AM on a Friday and when I entered the pool around noon it was pretty low density. By the end of the dive, around 1PM there were a lot of freedivers clustered around the dive guidelines, but still quite comfortable. Weekends would probably be intense. Reservations happen online. A basic reservation is pretty easy as you just create an account, login and fill in a form.

(End of dive density)
PARA0038.JPG

However, the rent-a-buddy section is a bit more complicated. There's a subsection under courses that you click, which takes you over to a notice board where you fill in details (see screen capture below), then they check the message, line up a buddy and call you to check details and text you how to make your down payment for the reservation. Honestly, Courses-->Message board-->Call-->Text seemed clunky and needlessly complicated. All the info they need is already in the basic registration form and they could probably just add a Rent-a-Buddy checkbox then contact you with details.
Screenshot (13).png

Now, it did work, and contrary to K26 the person that called me did speak English quite well as did the guide they lined up (YMMV), so that kind of redeemed it. I'm fine diving in Korean, but always good to have options. I'm just happy I got to dive, and now that I know what to do, it will be easier to go back, which I totally intend to do :thumb: Overall, staff seemed really friendly and helpful.

Facilities
Deepstation is newer than K26, so all the facilities were a bit shinier. Reception is on the second floor, so I recommend parking on the upper level rather than the pool level that you see on the right when entering. There are various sitting areas (outdoor patio with skylight views down on the pool), high tables and stools at reception and even a window into the pool from somewhere underground (...?) The men's change/shower room was nice and clean and also very large! This place could potentially allow a lot more people in the pool. It's kind of the 'it' place among freedivers on IG right now.

Underwater Features
Original ad photos had an underwater piano and or motorboat and a swing. Most of that is gone. There is a Poseidon wall carving, a suspended ring to sit in for photos, and the roots of a water tree. So, there are a couple areas with photographable "features", but it's really toned down from the original advertising shots. Still, it does currently have the deepest dive well (36m) in Asia. Hence the draw for freedivers.

So, yeah, I recommend the place, by which I mean stay-away-I-want-it-all-to-myself! 🤣 For me it's close by and provides the perfect quick diving fix for when I don't have time to travel to the ocean (2-3 hours away) and line up an entourage.

Looks like a pretty impressive place. Wish we had something like that around here for the winters.

Thanks for the write up. I have to say, your reviews make me wonder about a dive trip to Korea, just because it is so different.

Erik

Looks like a pretty impressive place. Wish we had something like that around here for the winters.

Thanks for the write up. I have to say, your reviews make me wonder about a dive trip to Korea, just because it is so different.

Erik
Glad to hear of your continued interested Erik. My goal is to use my language skills to get the word out and let people know what options are available here. There have been times when I was pretty confused about options here in SK.

Got back to Deepstation today. Here's a bit of a wider angle shot that gives some perspective of Poseidon's cavern and the tree. The ring swing is also top centre. This is from the 16m level.

Mine:
PARA0009.JPG

(Pro-shot from the website)
20230603_104139216_iOS.jpg

Dove Deepstation on a Sunday, it was LESS busy than the Friday. :thumb: I checked with reception. They indicated that weekend mornings are extremely busy, but the 2PM and following slots are usually pretty chill.

Back
Top Bottom