Deep Diving 108 feet w/ a single AL 80 (Air.) No redundancy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All REC divers know is al80's anything else is seen as tech stuff.
Broaden your perspective.

While that may be correct in the US-dominated part of the world, it most definitely isn't in the Europe-dominated part of the world. 10x300 steels, 12x232 steels, 15x232 steels, rec D7x300 steels and rec D8.5x232 steels are very common in the Europe-dominated part of the world.

While that may be correct in the US-dominated part of the world, it most definitely isn't in the Europe-dominated part of the world. 10x300 steels, 12x232 steels, 15x232 steels, rec D7x300 steels and rec D8.5x232 steels are very common in the Europe-dominated part of the world.

Well that is imo quite an overstatement if applied to purely rec divers. I don't think I have ever seen anyone in doubles who didn't have at least intro to tec/fundies or solo (sure, these are not on their own tec courses, but they bring one in that direction). Even in our cold and murky lakes most divers dive a single 12x232.

The comment was a US targeted comment. From what I have read training is completely different out side of the US also. Globally you point is well taken.

On the sarcasm side Of things. In other than the US if a diver dies. a diver dies. In the us IF A DIVER DIES A MANUFACTURER GETS SUED.

AL80s are common. Since 1997, outside of the US, I dived AL80s in Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Cocos, Costa Rica, Curacao, Galapagos, Panama, Puerto Morelos, Red Sea, Revillagigedos, Roatan, and Turks & Caicos.

I dived steel 120s in Cozumel.

In SE Florida, steel 100s and 120s are readily available to me, but I dive AL80s, it's all the gas I need.

During this time, I have 315 dives >100 feet, 32 of these >130 feet. I pay attention to my gas and to my NDL, about 5% of my dives are light deco. I am alive to tell about it.

Well that is imo quite an overstatement if applied to purely rec divers in the US
FTFY.

Rec twinsets are very, very common in my part of the world. Of course I, too, am only speaking from my own experience, but I'd be surprised if less than 30-40% of those I've dived with were using rec doubles. Typically D8.5x232s or D7x300s, but also other small twinsets like D6x300s. I've even seen a very cute little D4x300. Used like a large single, because if you're going serious deco diving, you probably should use a D12x232 or bigger.

I'm diving 10L tanks. What does that make me?

Don't get me wrong. If possible I would preferred smaller tank, as its less drag and easier to transport. But if you can stay down longer and have additional gas in reserve, I would go for bigger tank. 300 bar tank is expensive and hard to find refilling for it (where I dive) so not an option at all.

And also if you buy a tank not rent, you need size that you can carry and that can do all sorts of dives.

Is diving to 30m on an AL80 insane as one person wrote asked? No. It's normal and safe, but wouldn't be my fist choice.

It's common in my part of the US, too. Cold water requires some more complex weight management, so getting as much as you can out of your tank and plate is a thing a lot of people do. I have an HP 104 and a couple of LP 72s. I don't dive them because of the gas volume, I dive them because of their buoyancy characteristics.

As far as the OP goes, my redundancy is on my dive partner's back. Gas planning is part of dive planning. 100' with an AL80 is fine.

i certainly wasn't gonna read all 25 pages of this thread but here goes.

as we all know, the recreational depth limit is considered to be 40 meters. the SSI tables gives you like 5 minutes at that depth, so the practicality of an ow diver diving to that depth is questionable.

i assume that statistically, the number of instances of "accidents" involving divers using only a typical single allum 80 at depths below 100 feet would be very low. but as we all know, most people do not consider a practice to be a problem until they experience a problem themselves. the reality is that just because you have not had a problem does not make it a safe practice.

each individual diver has to choose for themselves what level of risk they are willing to take. hopefully if people choose to do this, they would have at the very least, good over all skills, good air consumption, well maintained quality gear, and an equally well trained and equipped buddy.

my personal opinion is that anyone diving solo to deeper depths (like the example given by the op) on a single tank of any size without a proper redundant gas supply is taking an unnecessary risk with no perceived benefit.

i certainly wasn't gonna read all 25 pages of this thread but here goes.
It is recommended to read the whole thread before answering. It just might be that your point has already been made. Or refuted. In which case you might look foolish.

Back
Top Bottom