DEEP DEEP diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know a lot of the training that you would need anyway requires a minimum number of dives to start the training - and 7 is not close! To me what you seem to be planning is suicidal - whatever your reasons. Nothing is going to be worth it to you, or your sponsor, when you end up dead. I also very much doubt if any diver with this level of training would be prepared to 'accompany' you - you could easily end up killing them too. The fact is - there is no shortcut - there is only the training - and no-one will train you before you were ready for it - they'd probably lose their licence if they did, and end up in court to boot.
Sure, there's nothing to stop you diving in and going as deep as you want, except the almost certain knowledge that you won't come back up alive. Please re-read Reefraf's Post12 above. He lists the training that TDI provides for what you want to do. Then go to the TDI website and research all these courses - they will list how many dives you need (and to what depths) to do each of the courses.

SeaHound:
This dive is important to me because:

1. I have found a sponsor who is willing to put in a lot of money. I cant tell the sponsor that I need 200 dives before I can execute this for him. That totally destroys the research, the effort and all the work that has gone in this.

2. Its a once in a life time opportunity and not something you would throw away because you didnt have "enough dives" or because you were not "qualified"

3. I would NOT hire someone qualified to do this because this is MY BABY!!! I dont mind being "accompanied" by more experienced divers but the moment of glory is mine.

By the end of the day I have to do this dive with whatever limited experience I have. Can't turn 7 dives to 200! The only thing I can do is take the training and become qualified.

Is this dive and this dive sponsor worth your life? If you die on this dive due to such a severe lack of experience is this wreck really so impressive that the rest of will really care about seeing the film footage of it or is it just another wreck?

You mention early in this thread that you need to go deeper than 200 feet and that you want to film this wreck. That means a fairly long time underwater and trimix coupled with staged decompression.

The rock bottom minimum to get trimix training with NAUI is 250 logged dives(There are other prerequisites) More dives than you currently have are required to pass the course as a minimum.

Whats the huge hurry?? Is the wreck going somewhere soon?
Start diving and taking classes everyday seven days per week, in a few months you will have the training although not necessarily the real experience to make this dive or series of dives. As my Mother would say when I insisted on doing foolish stuff, "Don't come crying to me when you get hurt"

Darwin and Murphy are always watching :wink:

SeaHound:

1. I have found a sponsor who is willing to put in a lot of money. I cant tell the sponsor that I need 200 dives before I can execute this for him. That totally destroys the research, the effort and all the work that has gone in this.

2. Its a once in a life time opportunity and not something you would throw away because you didnt have "enough dives" or because you were not "qualified"

3. I would NOT hire someone qualified to do this because this is MY BABY!!! I dont mind being "accompanied" by more experienced divers but the moment of glory is mine.

By the end of the day I have to do this dive with whatever limited experience I have. Can't turn 7 dives to 200! The only thing I can do is take the training and become qualified.

Would you go up Everest based upon your experience walking in the hills, i dont think so. You havent got a clue what is involved, you havent listened to what you are being told. You will wind up dead or killing someone else with this attitude. I have over 500 dives and currently in the process of taking a deco / deep course which will take me to 45/50M. Am i ready for this, yes very, do i believe i have the skill, yes. But i am still nervous about this (despite fact i have been that deep already) as it will involve a lot of stress loading, additional equipment and drilling, and despite my research a lot more control than i had realised. I'm sorry but as EVERYONE has told you, at 7 dives you have no where near the skill level needed to make the jump not even close.

Actually - apart from the tech training that you need - what you you know about U/W filming? I don't mean that in a nasty way - it's a serious question! This is another art unto itself and even if you end up with the training to make the dive, wouldn't it be a sad waste of time if your filming doesn't really come out? There is a lot more to that than point and shoot! I hope you aren't trolling everybody here - this is nothing to joke or play games about.

Is this worth being maimed or killed for?

If you don't have the training and the experience, you shouldn't do the dive. Besides, you can turn 7 dives into 200, all that's required is for you to dive another 193 times.

Honestly, you need to step back and take another look at what people here are telling you: Get the training and experience before you do this dive. Unprepared divers risk not just their own lives, but the lives of those they are diving with. At the end of the day, if you look inside yourself and answer the question, "Is this worth being maimed or killed for" with a yes, I have only one request - do the dive solo so that you don't take anybody out with you.

SeaHound:

SeaHound I am really affraid about you...This is not an irony! I really mean it! I am affraid that you will do it and then we will read about you in the accidents forums..."Diver without proper training and experience is dead" or something similar...

Please do more dives...and training...the trip is better than the destination..

Manogr

Seadeuce:
Same can be said about dive accidents ...

Seadeuce
Actually, the dive accidents are the same whether at 200+ or 200-, you're still dead. I'm baby stepping my way into deep diving. To date, 185' is the max. I'm doing trimix this summer and until then, 165' has been the limit. I reinforced the why on the 185' dive. But I can't remember the reason.

SeaHound:

BS. It just destroys your chance to do it. There are many more qualified people ready and willing.

SeaHound:
You may very well be right - once in your lifetime.

SeaHound:
Famous last words. Good luck finding a boat captain willing to overlook your experience. Lot's of liability. Look up the boat, "Seeker".

SeaHound:
How old are you?

SeaHound,

Presuming for a moment that you could actually execute just the dive portion at 200' safely given your experience (which I doubt)...

On these 7 dives you've done so far, have you done any filming? I have no doubt your a top-notch cinematographer on land, but you'll be dealing with alot of issues at 200+' that will make your filming more difficult. One will be bouyancy control and simple maneuvering with your rig - that's alot more difficult than it seems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom