DEEP DEEP diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just found out that the PADI deep diver course trains you to go below 100 feet! What kind of course is needed if I wanna dive below 200 feet? Is there any special course for that or do you just breath nitrox and follow what your deep diver course tought you for 100 feet diving?

SeaHound:
I just found out that the PADI deep diver course trains you to go below 100 feet! What kind of course is needed if I wanna dive below 200 feet? Is there any special course for that or do you just breath nitrox and follow what your deep diver course tought you for 100 feet diving?

Well, you'll need EAN19 to keep your PPO under 1,4 :eyebrow:

But then you'll have HUGE amounts of nitrogen to cope with.

SeaHound:

You need Technical Diving training. Many organizations offer such courses and certification like TDI or even PADI. It is a completely different kind of training and equipment and you should never try to dive so deep without such training! Technical Diving is a term used to define all forms of diving that are not fall in the recreational diving category. For example deep diving, Wreck penetration or cave diving.
Just for your info you NEVER use Nitrox for deep dives!! It is extremely dangerous (far more than pure air) as oxygen becomes toxic in such depths. You can use other kinds of mix like Trimix etc but only after training!

Manogr

SeaHound:

Check your motives for wanting to dive that deep before you take on the time, effort, and expense of both the training and equipment required to tackle that type of diving, too. Not to mention the inherent risk of it.

Truth is there really ain't a whole lot that deep that's of a lot of interest to the average recreational diver. The stuff that is there needs to be damned interesting to justify such diving. Going to 200 feet, or even 100, "because it's there" (I have no way of knowing what your motives actually are but that seems to be a common one) is the worst reason in the world.

The PADI Deep Diver course is intended to prepare one for diving in the range of 60' to 130' (according to PADI's website) which are still considered to be in the realm of recreational diving.

And, has already been mentioned, Nitrox is not a tool to be used for diving deeper.

I don't want to encourage deep diving but there's plenty to see at depths below what's usually considered "recreational". For instance, throughout the Great Lakes, most of the good wrecks are below 100 ft and even below 200 ft.

Even in the ocean the flora and fauna is different at those depths and that's reason enough for some to go there.

In caves, we go where the cave goes.

With the right equipment, training and skill these dives are conducted "safely" every day.

Brian1968:
Truth is there really ain't a whole lot that deep that's of a lot of interest to the average recreational diver. The stuff that is there needs to be damned interesting to justify such diving. Going to 200 feet, or even 100, "because it's there" (I have no way of knowing what your motives actually are but that seems to be a common one) is the worst reason in the world.....

......Nitrox is not a tool to be used for diving deeper.
Maybe not where you live or dive, but there is a lot to see down my way below recreational depths, and it's quite interesting. As for nitrox not being a tool for diving deep... Deep divers carry it on every deep dive as a decompression gas. It's often used as a travel gas as well. These are great tools. I wouldn't dive deep without them.

Agreed. I, myself, will pursue a similar course some time in the future because I also consider that kind of thing "damned interesting" enough to justify it; I'm particulary fascinated with wrecks. :D

I only refer to what (in my observations) the typical (if such a thing there be) OW/AOW qualified diver is usually out to see, and in the context of the question asked.

The cool things about wrecks, it they tend to be bigger deeper! :) This can be true about the fish as well.

mempilot:
Maybe not where you live or dive, but there is a lot to see down my way below recreational depths, and it's quite interesting. As for nitrox not being a tool for diving deep... Deep divers carry it on every deep dive as a decompression gas. It's often used as a travel gas as well. These are great tools. I wouldn't dive deep without them.

Good point, and I stand corrected.

Brian1968:
I only refer to what (in my observations) the typical (if such a thing there be) OW/AOW qualified diver is usually out to see, and in the context of the question asked.

I completely agree. Infrequent divers who may not develop their skills or keep them sharp probably don't need to complicate things with great depth. That's espacially true if their only reason for doing a dive is so they can write a bi number in their log book. There is plenty to see at shallower depths and for most divers that I know it's a progression that takes time.

Also some divers seem to be the type that enjoys the more technical aspects of the sport...the additional planning, calculations, decompression theory ect and some don't.

While technical diving is done by some as recreation it can definately seem like work compared to a nice easy swim around a shallow reef wearing nothing but a swim suit and a single tank. Both are fun but the motivations can be very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom