Deep Air - Here we go again....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A man's (macho) world.

4232914024_7dc2fac699_o.jpg

From 1969.

Deep Air isn't better; it is what it is. I've made my livelihood breathing helium. "Doesn't hold it to the same regard as others?" For a diver who's trained to use it, it is the preferred gas to be used outside a person's narcosis envelope. That said, everyone is not certified to use it and it brings a danger that is beyond simple narcosis. It is a two-edged sword.

What perceived danger does Helium bring in your mind? Faster off gassing potential is addressed with the deco profile and HPNS doesnt really come into play until you start doing fast 100fpm+ descents to 600 feet or more. What risks does helium bring that is more potential for accidents at depth then nitrogen narcosis?

And you havent taken a deep air course, or deep air instructor training course through them? Per your previous post, it makes it seem as though you haven't.

As I mentioned, I received my initial deep air training in the Navy, when I got out I wrote the necessary commercial diving and diving supervisor examinations and completed their instructor evaluation program, as per the other agencies which included NAUI, PADI, ACUC, CMAS and IDEA. Some limit the use of air to 130' and others 175' (previously 250').

How much for "H" (adjusted for both inflation and depreciation, of course)?

Umm, she would be about 60 now.

So you are telling me the deprecation would be a lot? Right?

As opposed to the men in that picture? Yes. In our society they can still get the young stuff.

But can they go deep on air?

What perceived danger does Helium bring in your mind? Faster off gassing potential is addressed with the deco profile and HPNS doesnt really come into play until you start doing fast 100fpm+ descents to 600 feet or more. What risks does helium bring that is more potential for accidents at depth then nitrogen narcosis?

Dr Edmonds points some of them out related to technical diving here http://rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/6084/1/SPUMS_V27N3_15.pdf

You can't really define HPNS so rigidly, it's a bit like nitrogen narcosis in-that it isn't predictable who will get it and when. But you're right that Trimix doesn't present the same dangers that Heliox does, because of the added Nitrogen in the mixture. I've seen divers experiencing HPNS symptoms at 300' with Heliox that subsided shortly after the descent was halted. I suppose it would matter as to the physical condition of the diver; which brings to mind that not all technical divers undergo hyperbaric medicals in a similar way as a Navy or commercial divers is required to.

As opposed to the men in that picture? Yes. In our society they can still get the young stuff.

But can they go deep on air?

As long as they still got what it takes to go deep. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom