Deep 6 regulator and TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seen lots of people rocking Deep6 gear on my tech dives. They seem to have a pretty active and devout following.

Also keep in mind as you get into tech, you will be buying more regs. Which means more maintenance. Deep6 is one of those manufacturers I believe that is more open about showing you how to safely service it. I dive Atomic M1 and Apeks... I don't have that same luxury.

Another thing to consider is to rent the tech gear at the beginning. I did that for my Tec40/45 course and was glad I did. It allowed me some experience on tech gear and helped me pick what was best for me. It helped eliminate the equipment churn i went through when I first started diving.

Seen lots of people rocking Deep6 gear on my tech dives. They seem to have a pretty active and devout following.

Also keep in mind as you get into tech, you will be buying more regs. Which means more maintenance. Deep6 is one of those manufacturers I believe that is more open about showing you how to safely service it. I dive Atomic M1 and Apeks... I don't have that same luxury.

Another thing to consider is to rent the tech gear at the beginning. I did that for my Tec40/45 course and was glad I did. It allowed me some experience on tech gear and helped me pick what was best for me. It helped eliminate the equipment churn i went through when I first started diving.

Thanks for your reply @Jackie Treehorn.

I am very happy to read that many tech divers are using Deep 6. Going the tech route means buying 2 more regs and DIN first stages and I prefer having the same brand (I assume it will make servicing easier)
I asked for renting doubles at the LDS and they unfortunately don't offer that service. To be honest, I wish I could ; there is a lot of gear to buy ! I took the time to make a list this week and it is a big commitment.
For example, I ordered a Freedom plate and will not be able to use it. So I'll end up with 2 BP/W set-ups ! ... I didn't expect that when I took the OW course ! :-D

Well, I assumed I cannot dive double with a Freedom plate. Am I wrong ?
I don't actually know. I thought people drilled two holes in them to mount doubles, but maybe I'm dreaming. I never have seen one, rigged for singles or doubles!

Thanks for your reply @Jackie Treehorn.

I am very happy to read that many tech divers are using Deep 6. Going the tech route means buying 2 more regs and DIN first stages and I prefer having the same brand (I assume it will make servicing easier)
I asked for renting doubles at the LDS and they unfortunately don't offer that service. To be honest, I wish I could ; there is a lot of gear to buy ! I took the time to make a list this week and it is a big commitment.
For example, I ordered a Freedom plate and will not be able to use it. So I'll end up with 2 BP/W set-ups ! ... I didn't expect that when I took the OW course ! :-D

A good TDI instructor will lend you kit for this course. Get a list of all the ones which are practical from the TDI web site and phone/email them.

An important part is kit choices and configuration. You can’t be expected to arrive at the course fully and properly equipped.

Buying stuff upfront beforehand is catch 22. If you feel the NEED to buy something be on the lookout for a used Sheerwater computer with all the new Teric's out there you should be able to find petrol 2 pretty for well under 1/2 of new and learn it inside and out on your own in recreational mode. Your instructor should be able to outfit you and get you going, it's intro to tec after all. Enjoy it!

A good TDI instructor will lend you kit for this course. Get a list of all the ones which are practical from the TDI web site and phone/email them.

An important part is kit choices and configuration. You can’t be expected to arrive at the course fully and properly equipped.

Thanks @KenGordon
I didn't think about that. I assumed tech instructors were not really into lending gear, but what do I know? I assumed I had to show up with the right gear. The best way to go (I guess) is to talk with the instructor and figure it out...

So gear configuration is part of the course ? That's news to me. A very good one.

Buying stuff upfront beforehand is catch 22. If you feel the NEED to buy something be on the lookout for a used Sheerwater computer with all the new Teric's out there you should be able to find petrol 2 pretty for well under 1/2 of new and learn it inside and out on your own in recreational mode. Your instructor should be able to outfit you and get you going, it's intro to tec after all. Enjoy it!

Thanks ! I am really looking forward to it. It is a huge step, and I want to do it the right way.

You are totally right : it's an intro after all. The good news is that I can use my Deep 6 reg. And if I am lucky and find a good deal, I'll go from a Zoop Novo to a Shearwater ; that's quite a change !

we are tdi instructors and do rent doubles lights etc at our facility

Back
Top Bottom