Deep 6 regulator and TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingblueberry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

First, Happy New Year to every diver out there ! I wish you all the most amazing time making bubbles :)

I just droped by my LDS today and had a good talk with the guy about the "intro to tech" course. They go with TDI and I am very happy with it (just because I don't want to follow the same PADI path all the way). (I am about to be Nitrox certified and will have 100 dives this summer.)

That being said, we talked about the gear requirements (and kept hearing the $ sound). I basically have to buy all the gear : BP and wing, double, another set of regulators, a good lamp, etc... I felt like my wallet was having a seizure... :-D

Here's where I need SB : the guys in the shop named all the big names (Apeks, SP, Hog, etc.) and I am a proud owner of a Signature Deep 6. Does that mean that I have to sell my set and change for a "tech approved" brand ? I asked the guys at my LDS and they didn't know much about Deep 6.

I was wondering if there are some specs a regulator ought to meet to be "tech approved"... I may be feeling too attached to my first regulator (or stingy) but I wish I could go for the course with the regulator I like and trust. And to be honest, the service I got from the guys from Deep 6 amazed me. So I wish I could keep it.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Safe diving.

The Signature Deep 6, like the HOG D1, is based on the Apeks DST first stage and is perfectly suited to tech diving. In my opinion it is a significant step up from the HOG but will reserve judgement in comparison to the Apeks which I also dive and enjoy. I have no experience with SP.

Thanks !
It is a very valuable piece of info.
I am not ready to put so much money in Apeks but if my Deep 6 is "tech approved" I will be a happy man.

I’ll be in a better position to answer this in a few week when I Dive with my Hogs and then try my new Deep Six on a Pony.....can’t go wrong with either though.

No problem at all with the Deep6 regs, I know quite a few people using them for tech diving and specifically in caves. If you ask in the Deep6 forum, you’re likely to get replies by the owner and employees of Deep6 that tech dive with them on a regular basis. Personally I own a single tank set I use regularly, the only reason I don’t have them on my doubles is because I work for a Scubapro shop and already had two sets of SP regs before I knew of Deep6.

The Signature Deep 6, like the HOG D1, is based on the Apeks DST first stage

Actually, the Signature is a completely different custom design.

perfectly suited to tech diving.

I second this part though :)

@Divingblueberry There really isn't such a thing as a 'tech approved' brand. The closest thing you are going to get to any standard for regulator performance is the EN 250 CE standard, for which our regulators have been tested and passed.

I personally use our regulators beyond 200ft, as do many others, some even further beyond 300ft. They are perfectly fine for cave, ice, overhead, tech, etc. They are a sealed balanced diaphragm design.

If you have any questions we are always available to help.

Cheers,
Landon

Deep6 is fine. Only problem is you'll need another one. Well, another 2. You're gonna want a deco reg, and might as well standardize on a regulator set.

You could easily get a Deep6 BP/W package for single tank, and just buy a doubles wing for technical dives. If you use an STA, it's literally two bolts to pull the single rig off, and the BP will bolt right on to doubles.

Deep6 regulators will be excellent for your course. If your current Deep 6 first stage is not DIN, I would send Deep 6 an email and see if they have a conversion kit as I don't see one listed. You likely need some additional hoses in addition to the second regulator (or 3rd if you get one for stage/deco). Your instructor should be able to put a list together for you if you are unsure of the hose lengths.

The Deep 6 single tank package that posters are referring to is unavailable at this time because there are no wings in stock, but I suspect you are looking for a double wing...something Deep 6 does not even sell. You will need to source that from another vendor...so I would just purchase a BP/W doubles packages from the vendor that carries the wing you need. Not sure what cylinder sizes you will be diving, but your instructor should be able to provide guidance on what wing lift is recommended based on the cylinders you will be diving.

If your shop named Apex and HOG then he will have ZERO problem with Deep6. HOG and Deep6 have a history.

You should be fine to use your Deep6 regs and if not then find a new shop, FAST!

Its good to support your local shop but not if you are required to buy gear from them but you can get it much cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom