Deep 6 Gear Excursion DC: what would you change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For this computer's price point ($250 for Excursion $300 for Centauri) it's a straight up recreational computer. I believe that trying to expand how it handles deco would just push/encourage/seduce people to situations they shouldn't be in.

Does everyone understand that the only thing separating this computer from supporting trimix and programmable GFs is simply firmware? The only issue is how much memory you have to store code.

From the Crest (OEM) manual:

From the Genesis Centauri manual:

The Deep6 manual (1.0 Beta) makes no mention of cautions, however, their website states the following:

For this computer's price point ($250 for Excursion $300 for Centauri) it's a straight up recreational computer. I believe that trying to expand how it handles deco would just push/encourage/seduce people to situations they shouldn't be in.

We're all divers here, we're all adults. If I go past NDL it's either by choice or ignorance, either way I'm the one that has to pay the consequences. Saying a computer or any type of gear will "push" someone to go beyond their limits is placing the blame on a device or a piece of gear. It's time people started taking responsibility for their own actions.

SW, the holy grail of dc, hasn't been blamed for killing anyone yet that I'm aware of. I am all for a sub $300 trimix computer.

You could have 2 firmware to download to save space. The current firmware is rec oriented, the future firmware is tec oriented? That should save some space I would think @wetb4igetinthewater?

We're all divers here, we're all adults. If I go past NDL it's either by choice or ignorance, either way I'm the one that has to pay the consequences. Saying a computer or any type of gear will "push" someone to go beyond their limits is placing the blame on a device or a piece of gear. It's time people started taking responsibility for their own actions.

While I agree with you, the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe beg to differ. Simply defending against such legal actions is expensive. Get an easily swayed sympathetic jury to 51% and it’s orders of magnitude worse. We all want to think we are responsible and mature adults capable of taking responsibility for our own actions, however, ask some resort DMs if their thoughts align with ours.

SW, the holy grail of dc, hasn't been blamed for killing anyone yet that I'm aware of. I am all for a sub $300 trimix computer.

You could have 2 firmware to download to save space. The current firmware is rec oriented, the future firmware is tec oriented? That should save some space I would think @wetb4igetinthewater?

I’m all for it. Heck I’d love to see AI at that price point. However. While one might think if it has Bluetooth LE why can’t it receive an AI transmitter signal? Unfortunately the frequency BT operates at is way too high in the RF spectrum to transmit through water. Hence why in water RF devices are down in the <40 kHz low frequency band.

But a $300 trimix computer? Sure I’m all for it. This could make for an inexpensive compact backup computer, certainly. It would take reworking of the user interface as well, being able to change gasses through the small buttons and display.

But for a moment of reality: How much product life is there in this platform? How much would it cost and how long would it take to bring the new software to market. What would the cost to user be. Now where does it put this platform against others that are in existence or in a near release state with a new state of the art?

Does everyone understand that the only thing separating this computer from supporting trimix and programmable GFs is simply firmware? The only issue is how much memory you have to store code.

How much would it cost and how long would it take to bring the new software to market. What would the cost to user be.
The answer to my question is no. The when is the main question.

I wouldn’t change anything about the Excursion.

Mix diving has a lot going on. I think most folks already diving mix or intending to go that route are going to want more data presented than what could be crammed into the Excursion’s screen.

Shearwater and Divesoft’s mixed gas DCs with their larger screens have probably habituated or conditioned tech divers (current or future) to expect more such that a trimix Excursion would probably only sell as a “novelty”.

Shearwater and Divesoft’s mixed gas DCs with their larger screens have probably habituated or conditioned tech divers (current or future) to expect more such that a trimix Excursion would probably only sell as a “novelty”.

Or as a backup? Not all of us want to buy SW x 2. Having something that costs a lot less that gets you out of a bind would be pretty nice, yeah? Honest question, and no offense meant.

Or as a backup? Not all of us want to buy SW x 2. Having something that costs a lot less that gets you out of a bind would be pretty nice, yeah? Honest question, and no offense meant.

No offense taken, brother. None at all.

I have to agree on the SW x 2. I still use a BT and slate with cut tables from a DPS app because I’m too cheap (and I have another egregiously expensive hobby my wallet struggles to keep up with) to buy a second Perdix. However, most tech divers seem to be willing to make the financial leap for two purpose-built, full-featured DCs which is what prompted me to write what I did.

Still, I think you make a very, very fair point and one that @LandonL and @cerich have probably pondered. A mix-capable Excursion WOULD fit into a unique segment. I just can’t tell if the development costs would be erased by the profits gained.

No offense taken, brother. None at all.

I have to agree on the SW x 2. I still use a BT and slate with cut tables from a DPS app because I’m too cheap (and I have another egregiously expensive hobby my wallet struggles to keep up with) to buy a second Perdix. However, most tech divers seem to be willing to make the financial leap for two purpose-built, full-featured DCs which is what prompted me to write what I did.

Still, I think you make a very, very fair point and one that @LandonL and @cerich have probably pondered. A mix-capable Excursion WOULD fit into a unique segment. I just can’t tell if the development costs would be erased by the profits gained.

I am in the cheap boat as well... about as cheap as they come I think:) Tbh I shouldn't even be in this hobby, but the hobby picks you, I don't think you pick the hobby.

I think it's an interesting spot for the Excursion. It came out, was hailed as a great 1st dc (still is I suppose) but it was overshadowed some by the Peregrine directly afterwards. What better way to bring this back into the light as the 1st ever "inexpensive" trimix computer. It would fill a niche (I think). The last thing anyone wants to hear when they start thinking about tech is "you need 2 outrageously priced dc's"..... "just in case".

The development is software only... so it'll be as good as the amount of time someone is willing to invest in it I guess. Either way, interesting concept.

Good discussion here. I’m not seeing the unproductive hi-jack. Not sure why we would want to delete the thread.

Good discussion here. I’m not seeing the unproductive hi-jack. Not sure why we would want to delete the thread.
The tangent posts just got deleted by the mods which IMO was the best solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom