Deep 6 Gear Excursion DC: what would you change?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This! When going into deco [or past the NDL], it shows how much time you have gone past your NDL vs. showing you how much deco obligation you have [which is what I expected...tho, I am only one data point]. I prefer the latter. It helps much more when during the dive I need to manage how much gas I need to safely surface [including deco].
In defense of the admittedly strange way the Excursion displays time past NDL, it is maybe exactly what you want if you are PADI rec-trained and not deco trained. In the PADI RDP system, you have one procedure you follow if you are less than 5 mins past NDL, and another you follow if you are more than 5 mins past NDL. The Excursion makes this immediately apparent by telling you exactly that info.
Yet another data point that the Excursion is a recreational computer, not a deco computer.

^^^This x 100.

I didn't know that Mac Dive had Excursion support... I don't have a MAC but theoretically you can sync to Mac Dive and export to a CSV file and then import into Subsurface... not at all ideal, but at least it's possible?

I really like the dc.. it's simple and holds battery forever. SS support is my #1 gripe.

Divinglog.de and macdive both have excursion support now.

Excursion support is in the open source library "libdivecomputer" that other apps might use as well - if there is an app that uses libdivecomputer that someone wants updated I can give them all the info they need to get it to work with the excursion. (Subsurface being the notable exception due to the decision of a maintainer)

Folks can we stick to the topic at hand? While I think that thread got way out of hand, it doesn't help with my question on what people would like to see different if hypothetically the firmware was updated in a significant manner.

You know, like in a parallel universe.

Folks can we stick to the topic at hand? While I think that thread got way out of hand, it doesn't help with my question on what people would like to see different if hypothetically the firmware was updated in a significant manner.

You know, like in a parallel universe.
Like others have mentioned, a more standard way of handling deco. Just copy what Oceanic does on the Geo models.

I haven't downloaded the current app/firmware so maybe this is available now, but a way to extract dive data in a standard format would be very nice.

I bought this over a similarly priced Geo 2.0 in order to be able to easily log my dives on my phone. I was never able to get the app to do this properly.

I bought this over a similarly priced Geo 2.0 in order to be able to easily log my dives on my phone. I was never able to get the app to do this properly.
The BT from the Excursion to DiveStory on my Android phone has been flawless.
Much easier than the USB nonsense from the Geo2.

The BT from the Excursion to DiveStory on my Android phone has been flawless.
Much easier than the USB nonsense from the Geo2.
That was my hope. It hasn't worked out for me so far, but like I said, there's a newer version of the firmware and app since my last attempt, so maybe it'll be fixed for me now.

Thanks to all who contributed with useful I formation which Ive noted.

I'm going to ask the mods to delete this thread as exactly what I didn't want to happen, happened.

Like others have mentioned, a more standard way of handling deco. Just copy what Oceanic does on the Geo models.

I haven't downloaded the current app/firmware so maybe this is available now, but a way to extract dive data in a standard format would be very nice.

I think the problem comes that it's not really a deco computer and remembering back to the original thread, they don't want folks using it as such. It's meant to handle rec diving and it seems pretty straightforward. If you blow past the NDL it tells you the ceiling to ascend to. Once there it counts down the time to remain there. Going back to the original thread I remember hearing that folks wanted something that would tell them their total deco obligation before they even get to the stop. I can see this working out to be troublesome as it can easily lend itself to folks thinking they are now capable of deco diving. "Oh I got the gas for this" vs "Oh shoot, time to go." Its handling of deco is to get those divers that weren't paying attention back to the surface without getting bent, not to encourage it.

While I don't know how much control Deep6 has over the software inside their units, the three models function much the same. All three are listed from their respective vendors as recreational dive computers.

These computers didn't have a dive plan mode in the original firmware. Once Crest updated the firmware to provide this function, all of the variants got the planning mode. I don't know if this came from a push from Deep6, but it's there now in all three models.

While I have the Genesis I would recommend that if purchasing one of these units to go with the Deep6 Excursion model. I met and spoke with some of the guys from Deep6, they are solid folks. I've heard from others that they stand behind their products. The price of the Deep6 is generally less ($50) than that of the Genesis. On top of that, the band on the Excursion is a better way to go. The stock rubber two piece band on the Genesis or Crest version is too small and does not come with an extension piece for wet or dry suit diving. You'll want to replace it with a NATO band if you want to think about wearing it with a 5mm or thicker suit. I haven't had the chance to dive mine yet and I already made that change. I actually went with the diver length Z5 nylon strap from NATO Strap Co as well as a BluShark Pajama stretch band. While it has been wet pool sessions don't count.

As I mentioned before I would like to see the chronograph function changed to HH:MM:SS. Right now it's just SSSS. So you hit the start button and let it go for an hour and the display will show 3600. Not 1:00:00. On top of that, once you go in and start a chrono you can't return to the time, or any other screen, without stopping the chrono.

I'd like to see the decimal feet indicator gone and just a simple integer. Don't need to see 27.3 feet. 27 will suffice thank you.

On the note of depth, I don't know if it's the quality of the sensor for measuring depth, or just how it's programmed and calibrated, but I find it odd that this new computer sees the bottom of a 5' pool as 2.1 feet, yet my 22 year old Suunto Spyder sees it as 5 feet. I would have expected to see it the other way around.

I'd like to see the Dive Story software export into a file that I can import into another logging program. There is a Facebook group for Dive Story created by Crest, but it's nothing but crickets in there.

It looks like Crest now has the CR5 model. Looks similar to the CR4, but with a color display and working as an athletic watch as well for running, walking, biking etc. No way I'd want this big ol' watch strapped to my wrist on a run. Has a slightly larger and higher resolution display, GPS, a compass (unknown if magnetic or GPS based), up to 99% O2 support, but no AI.

Given that Crest has the CR5 model just recently released I don't know if we can expect much to come in the way of additional features to the CR4. More details here: CREST CR-5 - CREST DIVING Official Website. It is possible though they end up using the same software which may result it improvements there.

Also, having looked at all three manuals, I'd suggest the Crest as it has more details than does the Genesis or Deep6 version. It also shows you what the three field displays look like and what the data means on them. (Manual here: CREST CR-4 User Manual - CREST DIVING Official Website)

In defense of the admittedly strange way the Excursion displays time past NDL, it is maybe exactly what you want if you are PADI rec-trained and not deco trained. In the PADI RDP system, you have one procedure you follow if you are less than 5 mins past NDL, and another you follow if you are more than 5 mins past NDL. The Excursion makes this immediately apparent by telling you exactly that info.
Yet another data point that the Excursion is a recreational computer, not a deco computer.

From the Crest (OEM) manual:
This product is manufactured for recreational diving experiences.

From the Genesis Centauri manual:
This unit is for recreational use only. The Genesis Centauri Dive computer is not applicable to the
measurement of data and usage specifications which are required for occupational or industrial grade
compliance.

The Deep6 manual (1.0 Beta) makes no mention of cautions, however, their website states the following:
The Deep6 Excursion Dive Computer is an excellent choice for a primary or as a backup dive computer for recreational divers.

For this computer's price point ($250 for Excursion $300 for Centauri) it's a straight up recreational computer. I believe that trying to expand how it handles deco would just push/encourage/seduce people to situations they shouldn't be in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom