DECO planners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gil57usa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have encountered some confusion concerning V-Planner vs. Z-planner. I have been told that Z-planner is an upgrade from V-planner, yet browsing the Web I interpret them as two distinctly different programs. Could someone who knows, please tell me the real story? Also, is one any better than the other?

Z-Planner is the predecessor of V-Planner. Meaning that Z-Planner is older and it's deco algorithms are older. The version I have was created in 2000. If you are wanting to use newer algorithms then get Z-Planner.

Z-Planner is a Buhlman based decompression program that is based on the original ZPlan console developed by William M. Smithers. Z-Planner is a Graphical User Interface (GUI) program that was written by Ross Hemingway.

Use V-planner :), as above noted, Z-planner is 'older', but I think James meant use V-planner as well.....

Scuba_Steve:
Z-Planner is a Buhlman based decompression program that is based on the original ZPlan console developed by William M. Smithers. Z-Planner is a Graphical User Interface (GUI) program that was written by Ross Hemingway.

Use V-planner :), as above noted, Z-planner is 'older', but I think James meant use V-planner as well.....

Yes, Yes, I meant get Z-Planner. :)

Well James? Did you mean Z or V-planner? I have played around with both and the V-planner seems more elaborate. I have been diving doubles for some time now and wish to extend my bottom times. It would be advantageous to know which Deco planner is in line with what I want to do.

LOL. I think he did it again........

There's only a couple keys in-between the two letters on the keyboard....

Regardless of what 'model' you want to use, get some training, which regardless of what deco training agency it is, will give you the beginnings of what you are looking for.

As it is, if you're asking about what planner to use, you're already in the hole a bit. Get some formal training is my suggestion, and you'll learn a little bit more about the theory behind the why's and where-for's. :)

I can't type today. I mean V-Planner. :)

Lemme double check myself. Yes, Yes. V-Planner. :)

I have used V-Planner recreationally and enjoyed it. Now that I am doing true Deco Dives, it is invaluable. I have tried a few other programs but like V-Planner best. Many divers I dive with and speak to are also using V-Planner for dives ranging from 3-6 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom