Deco Cylinder Mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian, you need to think long and hard before you put DIN plugs in your valves. If in fact they do pressurize, when you go to take the plug out under pressure, the heat of friction and any little brass metal shaving under high PPO2 will cause the shaving to burn resulting in the same scenario.

But,the volume of O2 contained between the valve and the end of the DIN plug will be very small. I'm going to start a new thread on this as i think it's important.

Just to point out the obvious, there are no flammable scuba diving gases. (Well,O.K. hydrogen mixes have been used on deep commercial dives , but that's not exactly common)

while technically true that oxygen is not flammable, it is such a great catalyst that (almost) anything around it can become fuel

But,the volume of O2 contained between the valve and the end of the DIN plug will be very small. I'm going to start a new thread on this as i think it's important.
Link it here will ya'...?

while technically true that oxygen is not flammable, it is such a great catalyst that (almost) anything around it can become fuel

It's not a catalyst either! Oxygen is an Oxidizing Agent (British English) or an Oxidizer (American English)
A catalyst speeds up a reaction but is not consumed in the reaction. (How often do you have to change the Catalytic Converter on your car ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalyst
Sorry,pet peeve :D

Link it here will ya'...?

Sure.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...in-plugs-o2-cylinders-good-idea-bad-idea.html

Than you Elena for the updates! There are no words to express the sadness this news brings! I am praying very hard for David, his family and of course loved ones! I have faith that he will make it through this!

David and I both picked up our Al40 bottles around the same time last year, and they were bought new...not old AL stuff.

I usually transport my Al40 of O2 in my truck cab, but with the reg already on it. Not sure this is such a good idea anymore. It sucks that experience is often something we get after we need it.

David, my friend...pull through, we have an Invasion to go on and you have a wedding to make it to!

This is the Accidents & Incidents forum with special rules, so I ask that we all abide by those rules.

There is a thread of well wishes for him in the Texas Forum, so please post your wishes there so the family can read them to him as he recovers. I will be moving those non-A&I, well wishes posts to that thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/412270-prayers-swamper.html
This is where I will be posting updates on David's recovery as I get them from Monica or his family.

Please keep this A&I thread as a way for all of us to learn and prevent another catastrophe.

Let's examine the possibilities of what could have happened and prevention:
1-gear failure? valve damage or handle jarred during loading?
2-truck failure? It's been mentioned David had ongoing problems with systems in the truck. I personally don't belive this caused the fire but may have contributed.
3-dive knowledge? I personally find this doubtful in this case, as those who know him, know he was consciousnesses about training, and learning as much as he could about any subject.
4-diver error? Possibly, fatigue, rushing, multi-tasking.What we need to ask ourselves is: "Are we diligent about handling any and all cylinders each time we transport them?" I know when I'm tired or in a hurry, I'm less careful, less observant and I can become complacent in my methods when I'm loading/unloading my 20th tank of the day. I am thinking carefully how I transport gear especially deco cylinders in my SUV.

I have been diving with David. I have seen his equipment. I believe this was an unfortunate combination of simple items that lead to a disaster. Any of which could happen to the best diver again. I believe this was a case of the 100% leaking into his cab(closed space) providing a highly oxygenated environment. The truck had many known issues(read: lemon or continual issues) and maybe some unknown issues. Add to this a parking garage with who know what fumes/gasses. A flash fire ensues in a closed small environment acting like a bomb. The fire gets hot enough to setoff another 32% or maybe 50% bottle. Simply a bad combination and bad timing and another good diver is suffering.

We joked at the dive show about being twinkies wearing the same shirt from Edd's shop. We had a lot of the same interests. It just doesn't seem real that this happened to him.

I don't think anyone has crapped on David here, he was obviously in a circumstance where stuff happened. He certainly did nothing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom