Deco Cylinder Mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all must remember that we are handling compressed gasses. Compressed gasses in a confined space are extremely dangerious.

You do not transport compressed gases in a confined space (closet, car, truck cab, etc)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the compressed gases we use are not harmful (breathing gas), so a leaking cylinder is no a big problem. However, if you are using or transporting gases that are not breathing gases (argon and helium), you have the possibility of suffocating due to lack of oxygen!

High concentrations of oxygen are extremely dangerous (as has been pointed out a number of times in this thread).

I agree that this was a tragic accident, but someone said he did nothing wrong. He did do something wrong, he carried a compressed oxygen cylinder in a confined space. The cylinder apparently leaked according to previous posts. The oxygen concentration was high enough were an organic substance ignited due to heat or a spark within the truck cab and a fire and explosion occurred.

I am not trying to blame anyone. I am only pointing our the failure points in the accident.

Safe Diving

Last edited:
We all must remember that we are handling compressed gasses. Compressed gasses in a confined space are extremely dangerious.

You do not transport compressed gases in a confined space (closet, car, truck cab, etc)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the compressed gases we use are not harmful (breathing gas), so a leaking cylinder is no a big problem. However, if you are using or transporting gases that are not breathing gases (argon and helium), you have the possibility of suffocating due to lack of oxygen!

High concentrations of oxygen are extremely dangerous (as has been pointed out a number of times in this thread).

I agree that this was a tragic accident, but someone said he did nothing wrong. He did do something wrong, he carried a compressed oxygen cylinder in a confined space. The cylinder apparently leaked according to previous posts. The oxygen concentration was high enough were an organic substance ignited due to heat or a spark within the truck cab and a fire and explosion occurred.

I am not trying to blame anyone. I am only pointing our the failure points in the accident.

Safe Diving

Hundreds, if not thousands, of divers transport gasses in our vehicles all the time. David didn't do anything that all those other divers don't do on a daily basis. This was a freak accident. With all the issues he had with his truck prior to this, the hissing may not even have been coming from a scuba cylinder. We don't know what caused the explosion. All we know is there was an explosion and the scuba cylinders in the cab also blew. Whether they were the cause or incidental may never be known.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom