Deco Classes .....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"...you are black... you are black."

I have a GUE facility not far from me and they are the Worst group of people I've ever had the missfortune of meeting. They are arrogant (though some have little technical experience), and abrasive, and demean anyone else's students who walk into their diveshop. If thats what GUE is about they can keep out of Canada.

Just because someone is arrogant, abrasive and demeaning is no reason to...

Hmmm....

Well...

Maybe you have a point.

Originally posted by Matt
Believe it or not there is a world outside of GUE training. While I've taken training from GUE instructors, and Iantd, and TDI, its the Instructor and what they teach you not the agency.

Hi Matt,
OOIC
What GUE course did you take?

Matt,

I agree with you it is the instructor that makes the class, and there are some people that have to act like the "cool kid" from high school, but I think right now, GUE has some of the better classes out there. Again, I do not like the idea of having to take 3 or 4 classes that teach basically the same thing in order to achieve your mix card. If you want to dive mix, then you should be at a certain level already. If a person signs up for a class and the instrcutor feels he/she is not ready for the card, they should not get it and unfortunally, I have not seen this happen with some instrcutors from the other "tech" agencys. I think because GUE is small (at this time) they can offer a better class still adhere to their standards.

Just my opinion,

Eric

UP,

About the "arrogant, abrasive and demeaning " I have YET to see any gue instructor/shop that was NOT like that. If you know of one then consider yourself blessed.

Ed

For what it's worth, I have witnessed several GUE classes when I've been out diving. It's quite interesting to see someone who is doing their first overhead (cavern) dive carrying o2 to the water for the first time. I'm not saying that introducing everything at once is a bad idea, but the students that I've seen didn't seem like they were going beyond cave 1 and I haven't seen any of them in the water.
It all boils down to the instructor. There are several that I will vouch for, from GUE to IANTD to NACD/NSSCDS etc...

Originally posted by blacknet
UP,

About the "arrogant, abrasive and demeaning " I have YET to see any gue instructor/shop that was NOT like that. If you know of one then consider yourself blessed.

Ed

I'm lookin'...
I'm lookin'...
:wink:

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

I would urge you to look into the IANTD classes. They are top quality and comprehensive. Do yourself a favor and stay away form the GUE and TDI classes.

Ed

Why your oppostion to GUE classes? Also, out of curiosity, has anyone reading this who has TAKEN a GUE course ever had a problem with the instructor or his attitude?

I gather from some of your posts that you just don't like DIR and are associating GUE with some of the outspoken "Lightning rods" of the DIR movement. Most of the highly visible and controversial of the DIR movement are NOT GUE instructors. Those that I've met have been quite personable. Just an opinion - not a flame.

I've met several of the GUE instructors and some are great. Tyler Moon is one of the nicest guys and one of the better divers around.
On the other hand, Tamara isn't nice at all. She is rude and speaks negatively of everything around that she is not a part of.

Not sure what you mean about carrying O2 to the water for their 1st overhead dive? GUE Cave 1 doesn't do anything with O2. Maybe the instructor brought it for safety but I guarantee there is no deco involved in a Cave 1 class.

DSAO!!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
For what it's worth, I have witnessed several GUE classes when I've been out diving. It's quite interesting to see someone who is doing their first overhead (cavern) dive carrying o2 to the water for the first time. I'm not saying that introducing everything at once is a bad idea, but the students that I've seen didn't seem like they were going beyond cave 1 and I haven't seen any of them in the water.
It all boils down to the instructor. There are several that I will vouch for, from GUE to IANTD to NACD/NSSCDS etc...

That's my point WYDT. Make no mistake, I'm not anti-safety by any means. I just don't see the necessity of having O2 in the water for a 50 foot cavern dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom