Deco Classes .....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
I have heard some members mention deco classes who offers these deco classes ?

is this deco class more in depth than a tech nitrox class from IANTD. It sounds as if it is, id like to here more about this class.

i am hearing some great info on deco on these boards and feel i have lots to learn from the info floating around here and this deco class sounds like the ticket. tell me more.

TMD

Originally posted by trymixdiver
tell me more.
TMD

TMD,
There are several agencies that teach deco proceedures...
You can also learn a lot online from certain web sites...
And by gleaning information from lists like this...
However you really need the diving skills that go with deco diving...
Or you are going to get hurt.

Please look into taking a GUE class...

Hello,

I would urge you to look into the IANTD classes. They are top quality and comprehensive. Do yourself a favor and stay away form the GUE and TDI classes.

Ed

TMD,
You will notice that I mention there were several agencies and recommended one while refraining from slamming the others....

I'll let you draw your own conclusions about Ed's comment.

The reason I suggest GUE is that you will receive more than deco theory and a few guided tour type dives.

I can't speak for the other agencies training programs directly but I can tell you first hand that a GUE tech class will not be easy for you to pass.

You will have to learn, develope and demonstrate important diving skills and no matter how well you do they will find your weakness and exploit it. What you thought would be a 5 day class will end up being 5 FULL days (10~12 hrs.) At the end of each day you get to watch the video evidence of your abject strokery and how you didn't handle the problems correctly and *killed* yourself and your team. Then at the end of the week instead of getting to do your check out deco dives you will probably be told to go practice and come back in a month or so.

You won't get your *card* until you earn it.... and then you won't get to keep it if you don't do the dives on a continuing basis.

There are folks that talk GUE down but not from personal experience... they couldn't make it past the first day!

I didn't need GUE for a card...
I blend all my own gas and I can do whatever I want with it...
I have my own boats and I can go wherever I want with them...
But I wanted GUE to train me how to dive the way they do...
So do you.

Guys,

Personally, I like the idea that GUE goes with. Their tech 1 class incorperates Adv. Nitrox, Deco, and Normoxic Trimix into one class. The gas laws don't change from class to class.

Take Care,
Eric

The tech 1 course sounds very interesting, alot of info in a single course. it seams to me that tech 1 covers more in one class than all my certs combined.

U_P mentioned
"However you really need the diving skills that go with deco diving"

So in response i will say yes i agree, but i do have some training and its not like i am just buying tech gear and hitting the water. I have about 150 deco dives. All conducted using doubles and 1 or 2 stages, dive times of 75min to 150 min.

with all the posts about deco, i think i could learn alot more by taking a class that is more indepth. After all no one on this board would claim they know it all. Diving is a continuous learning experience, i know i can learn alot more from a class like that thus making me a better diver. Not to mention a safer diver.

TMD

So in response i will say yes i agree, but i do have some training and its not like i am just buying tech gear and hitting the water. I have about 150 deco dives. All conducted using doubles and 1 or 2 stages, dive times of 75min to 150 min.

Then you don't want to be going backwards...
You want the most agressive program...
One that will challenge your skills...
And correct any bad habits...

Right?

As far as equipemnt goes i am probably 99% DIR. I realize that DIR is more than just euipment, and thats my next step.

i will look into tech 1 and 2.

I realize some of my past actions / configuration are not considered DIR. I think this board and some spcific posters in here have posted enough info on DIR to make me change some bad habits i used to do, and seek out better options.

just a side note :
I like that the training from GUE encompasses more than just say Nitrox and adv nitrox ect... I payed alot of $ for each individual IANTD course, its nice to have an all in one option.

TMD

I like that the training from GUE encompasses more than just say Nitrox and adv nitrox ect... I payed alot of $ for each individual IANTD course, its nice to have an all in one option.

TMD

TMD,
The GUE courses I have taken are by far the most bang for the buck I have ever gotten in any course...

I still can't believe that I was able to purchase the time of a genuine world class exploration diver so cheaply! The class size is strictly limited with a 2 or 3 to one instuctor ratio and involves not only the instructor but in our case support divers as well as the videographer.

Believe it or not there is a world outside of GUE training. While I've taken training from GUE instructors, and Iantd, and TDI, its the Instructor and what they teach you not the agency.

I don't think its fair to snub TDI as they are just and agency full of Instructors. They like Deep Air, not a big deal. If people don't like Deep Air don't dive deep air. Trimix is a popular course from TDI, and its one that is pushed a lot more than Extended Range which they've cut back from 180-160ft.

IF you get a good instructor who is open minded and tries a lot of different types of diving techniques, and is keeping up with the continuing trends in the industry, and is a competant diver than it shouldn't matter who the agency is.

I have a GUE facility not far from me and they are the Worst group of people I've ever had the missfortune of meeting. They are arrogant (though some have little technical experience), and abrasive, and demean anyone else's students who walk into their diveshop. If thats what GUE is about they can keep out of Canada.

Fortunately Jarrod Jablonski is a down to earth person, and runs a great agency, but again its the instructors who make up his agency, and if there are some people that are giving bad publicity to to GUE its there turn to take the facility away.

The agency regulates a lot, and plays mediator to a lot of people. I've launched standards violations to some of the agencies and they try to resolve it as best as possible. If someone is teaching they generally should be a good instructor. There are Exceptions of course!

The Decompression Procedures course was an excellent course when I took it as a student. I knew a lot going into it, and so did my buddies. We had a good instructor who knew his stuff.

It all depends on the Instructor.

Good luck,

Matt
:fork:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom