decisions with SP reg pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the g250v costs more than an a 700. Over here :( gonna look at orderinn online from states

Ah just got quote and it costs the same as the a 700 , how does that work hey , ha ha gonna look at importing 1 from a shop in us

have you looked at a mk11 s555
it can be upgraded to a s600 later

The G250V has a metal barrel, it helps reduce dry mouth over an all plastic body 2nd stage.

3) A metal air barrel such as the G250V will indeed help with any potential drymouth issues.

Not to derail the thread, but this is the first I have heard anything about the barrel material affecting dry mouth. Why would this make any difference?

Not to derail the thread, but this is the first I have heard anything about the barrel material affecting dry mouth. Why would this make any difference?

The idea is that air traveling around the metal can condense a little and provide a bit of moisture. I find this is much more pronounced with a full metal case reg, although the metal barrel helps a little. With a full metal case, when you exhale, you're pushing warm moist air into the metal case, where it can condense more easily because the metal is cooled by the water on the outside more efficiently than a plastic case.

The idea is that air traveling around the metal can condense a little and provide a bit of moisture. I find this is much more pronounced with a full metal case reg, although the metal barrel helps a little. With a full metal case, when you exhale, you're pushing warm moist air into the metal case, where it can condense more easily because the metal is cooled by the water on the outside more efficiently than a plastic case.

1+.

I have 2nd stages that are full plastic, plastic with metal air barrel, and full metal.

Plastic = dry air.
Metal barrel = less dry.
Metal case = least dry.

Now, even the full metal case reg is not exactly what I'd call "moist" breathing :wink: but my mouth feels significantly less dry when using a metal 2nd stage versus a plastic one.

Best wishes.

The idea is that air traveling around the metal can condense a little and provide a bit of moisture.

Now, even the full metal case reg is not exactly what I'd call "moist" breathing :wink: but my mouth feels significantly less dry when using a metal 2nd stage versus a plastic one.

Thanks, guys - Very interesting and completely plausible. You never know what you'll learn here!

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

hmmm so i just found out the g250v is the same price as the a700 , well actually r300 more so in dollars that around $50 , WTH :( was so amped for one , 2nd hand ones don't exist here for some reason , a) people love them and keep them , or b) they just didn't come here .... so i'm thinking the mk 11 and the r395 , that pre-dive shut off could save a dive and it looks pretty ,

Have you checked your local dive clubs/dive centers? These guys renew their gears every few years and sell off the old ones for cheap. Being rentals, the gears tend to be a bit battered, but serviceable.

batman, just to throw 1.5psi into the ring here... when I was working in a place where my 'other' brand regs were not supported, I wound up stealing a mk2+ out of the rental fleet, throwing a service kit at it, and hooking up my balanced 'other' second stage. Save a slight hesitation (may or may not have been real or imagined, just my experience) the top of the line second stage ironed out most of any deficit that might have been attributable to the 'lesser' capabilities of that Mk2. That being said, they are stupidly easy to work on, and even in a daily use rental environment, the -2 will often take 2 years before misbehaving and thus asking for a service.

I would not hesitate to shave a few bucks if budget was tight. The reg is bulletproof; there is a reason they are such common rental regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom