DCS - saw it 1st time in my life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TX101:
I've read up a fair bit about in water recompression. The idea is to force the bubbles back 'into solution'. I would have gone down on air with a spike to at least 60ft (preferable deeper, maybe 100-120) for 5 minutes, then slowly come back up, switching to o2 at 20ft.

Richard Pyle's article is really good reading:

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/cmd.html

I don't remember the exact depth he went back to. I went down on the second shift after about an hour at about 18 feet I believe and he was breathing O2. He signaled that he felt OK and could move his legs a bit. I had heard of another fellow who dived on air to 2.4 ppO2 (Cancun Mark, the secret newb confusing code) and was slightly bent with itchy joints and some mild pain. He did the in water recommpression immediately and it went away. He didn't go to any chamber.

String:
In water recompression is frowned up by agencies these days but it DOES have a use in remote locations and personally im not 100% convinced it isnt a good recreational idea either. The main worry is the casualty losing conciousnesses and drowning in water but for a dive exhibiting no obvious symptoms im not convinced going with a safety diver back down to the stop depth for a long time isnt a good idea. You are effectively putting them in a mini-chamber under supervision until such time as help arrives.

I certainly know of divers that have missed stops and gone straight back down to complete them without issues.

(Bet this opens a hornets nest).

I would think it's frowned upon by the agencies in America with a law suits being just about certain no matter what the results. No one could argue with certainty that it helped or hurt.

TX101:
I've read up a fair bit about in water recompression. The idea is to force the bubbles back 'into solution'. I would have gone down on air with a spike to at least 60ft (preferable deeper, maybe 100-120) for 5 minutes, then slowly come back up, switching to o2 at 20ft.

Richard Pyle's article is really good reading:

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/cmd.html

I just read the article by Richard Pyle. Unbelieveable. I mean, out in Palau, bent, recover, and going for another dive to collect fish? But that's Jack Randall for you. He's an amazing man. I'm not a colleague of his but happened to be married to Psuedanthias Lori's namesake for six years. He can tell dive stories all day long. He took me on my first dive. No training at all. Just down to 60 feet or so in Hanauma Bay. I ran out of air using a J valve tank. He was pissed because he hadn't finished his roll of film yet. He's still diving at 80 years old. I hope I will too.

Facinating article! well worth the reading, but very scary! I hope never to expereince anything like that. Perhaps I should buy that dive puter sooner than later eh? ;-)
That does follow that a lack of insurance in both of these cases is as issue....What recomendations do folks have for dive insurance?

NorthernMelody:
....What recomendations do folks have for dive insurance?
Uh, don't dive without it!?

As to In Water Recompression... there are several issues, but the standard of not putting a diver back into the water if exhibiting signs or symptoms of DCS is based upon an inherent assumption that medical help is available.

In a sufficiently remote locale there may be no option but to do IWR. IMHO, dive vessels operating in such locales would be wise to have staff suitably trained for this possibility.

I also want to say "Great Job!" Very, meaning too few will stand up to the "professionals" in such a situation. Unfortunately too many of the professionals are more concerned with protecting their own reputations than they are with others.

Oh, and I want to say that I am offended by all this talk of people being offended. Don't you know that talking about being offended is very offensive? How dare you offend me by talking about your being offended. Next time, please keep your offensive statements about being offended to your self!

I think I'll go spend some time with my sinful children, who are too much like their father!

Great report, Mania,

This is just one example of how shabby so many dive operations are worlwide. So many people get in trouble being "sheep" divers" and blindly following persons who's skills are not what they are purported to be. A very common occurance.

Regards,

NorthernMelody:
Facinating article! well worth the reading, but very scary! I hope never to expereince anything like that. Perhaps I should buy that dive puter sooner than later eh? ;-)
That does follow that a lack of insurance in both of these cases is as issue....What recomendations do folks have for dive insurance?

I carry DAN Premium. I have actually had to use it. Can not say enough good about them, etc, etc etc. If you dive abroad, some kind of insurance is a must have.

Regards,

I just carry my travel insurance (certifies me down to limit of certification) and in the UK dont even use that as NHS cover is available.

Wow. I only hope that faced with such a situation, I will do all that Mania did.

On another note, someone mentioned pictures of DCS rash. I have seen pictures also but want to have some inmy computer. Does anyone have pictures they can post?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom