DCS - saw it 1st time in my life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a rescue diver it's always good to get a feel for the divers on the boat. If something goes wrong, you'll most definately take control of the situation or at least assist, since a DM was present. If something can be done ahead of time to reduce a possible incident, do it. Good job with identifying the symtoms and activating EMS. That's why we should all al least be rescue certified...........

I dont think that anyone intended to offend anyone. Its just my pet-peeve against generalization.

This story is a classic example of denial and one of the biggest dangers in scuba diving.
In this case its DCS but it very easilly could have been any other situation over our heads.
What is interesting to note in my opinion that not only was the victim in denial but also many other people involved. Yes I realize that the DM didnt want to get in trouble, but deep down the DM hoped for the best (denial) and failed to recognise the inevitable.

Up till now I never Suffered DCS but can imagine that even the most seasoned divers would have a hard time admiting that "Yes, it is happening to them"

PRL:
I dont think that anyone intended to offend anyone. Its just my pet-peeve against generalization.

Welcome to the real world my friend, hope you enjoy your stay.........

Oh geez - the political correctness cops are out in full force.

OK - lighten up guys. This whole Scubadiving thing is supposed to be fun. Mania did a great job, and I for one will allow her to say and do whatever she wants about her fellow countrymen, provided it's not illegal, immoral or fattening.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to go spend the rest of the workday hanging out with some stupid Canadians.

Personally a dive to 104 feet is really not a big stretch for any diver unfit or otherwise. I don't think it was going out of the way to create a dangerous situation on the part of the divemaster.

If the guy was qualified he was qualified. He also has a brain and the ability to reason and can say no if he doesn't want to go either.

Last time I checked anyone can call the dive for any reason no questions asked...

Good job on recognizing the symptoms and stopping any delays in treatment though.

Good post Mania, and a good lesson for the rest of the board. If you think you are right, and someone elses health and well being is involved, dont take any chances.

This will a bit off topic but I have to answer this:
PRL:
But I did get offended by this comment
By no means I didn't want to offend anybody, so PRL if you felt so - I'm sorry.

saf_25:
"some of my fellow nationals can be so stupid,"
That's exactly what I had in mind. BTW saf - thanks for kind word as my writting in English is concerned - it's always easier to speak than to write.

A short explanation. Egypt now is the most favourable holiday destination for Poles (12 charters a week to Sharm el Sheikh - almost 2000 Poles every week, plus the same amount to Hurghada). It's the cheapest place they can go and stay in 4* hotels. 90% of them don't speak any foreign language. And honestly I've seen such things there that I couldn't resist form generalising - which is a mistake and PRL is right - I shouldn't have. But PRL you really should see most of them repeating all the time "ci brudni arabowie, czarni, brudasy, asfalt..." I can't even translate this - it's not even that this is not politically correct - it's simply rasist.

String:
Was this guy doing a deco dive or was it a no stop within NDLs and just a rapid ascent ? Any idea of his profile ?
Unfortunately I have no idea about the profile - probably he didn't have a computer - his DM had and I was not in the position to check that. Dives in Egypt are NDL dives - unless you are technical diver and have a permission to do decompresion dives.

To all of you - as I wrote before - thanks for kind words but I'll repeat myself - It was a chance I took without being sure I'm 100% right. All I did was simply taking a chance.
Mania

d33ps1x:
Personally a dive to 104 feet is really not a big stretch for any diver unfit or otherwise. I don't think it was going out of the way to create a dangerous situation on the part of the divemaster.

If the guy was qualified he was qualified. He also has a brain and the ability to reason and can say no if he doesn't want to go either.

Last time I checked anyone can call the dive for any reason no questions asked...

Do you really believe most divers adhere to that tenet, especially those occasional divers on vacation who tend to place a lot of trust in the DM and have traveled a long way specifically to go diving? In many cases, it's jump in and follow the leader. While this practice of calling the dive for any reason at any time gets drilled into DIR diver's heads, the reality is often otherwise for so many divers. In this case, I believe the responsibility falls to the DM to try to intervene or make appropriate contingency plans when someone looks dangerously unprepared for a dive.

Back
Top Bottom