DCS - saw it 1st time in my life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PRL:
Good Job,
But I did get offended by this comment
Maby it should be changed to alot of people. Poles are no more stupid than other nationalities

Did you check her location? Mania is qualified to make whatever comment she wants about Poles. She is one.

Good work Mania.

Good job.
You handled that situation very well.
The report was very well done.

Great report, Mania! I am particularly impressed that without the benefit of being an "acknowledged expert" you held your ground against the pseudo-professionals who wanted to pooh-pooh the whole thing. Yes, as others have already said, you very likely saved the guy's life. I hope he thanks for it rather than cursing you for making him spend a lot of money.

Having experienced some of the clowns who are running dive ops in Egypt I am only mildly suprised at the incompetence and sheer stupidity of the DM and crew...

Boogie711:
Did you check her location? Mania is qualified to make whatever comment she wants about Poles. She is one.

Good work Mania.
So am I(does that qualify me to get offended?), but comments like that make my life difficult and I will point them out.
BTW No One Is QUALIFIED to make comments like that.

In any case Mania is qualified to suspect DCS and she has proven that.
The main point here is that many divers regardless of nationality don't carry insurance, look for cheap vacations, and most important of all ARE IN DENIAL THAT THEY ARE BENT

well done, M. I enjoyed the detail in the write up. I'm impressed at how well you spoke your mind in that situation and didn't assume that the DM was correct.

PRL:
So am I(does that qualify me to get offended?), but comments like that make my life difficult and I will point them out.
BTW No One Is QUALIFIED to make comments like that.

Polish people are the most frugal people I have ever met and I should know - I married one.

(my wife's favourite saying: "We have to economise")

You live in America. Were you born there? Have you even been to Poland?

PRL:
So am I(does that qualify me to get offended?), but comments like that make my life difficult...

Are you a member of DAN, then? If so, congratulations - you're not on of the "stupid." Hold your head up high.

If you're not - well, then no wonder you're offended. The truth hurts.

Good job Mania!

Very impressive that you were able to "take charge" when the "professionals" wouldn't!

You should feel proud for what you did!

Boogie711:

Good work Mania.
Well, I thought a similar thing myself, but I don't know as this is how I would have said it. My reading of Mania's statement was probably just different - knowing that she was Polish did change my view of that as an offensive comment. I felt that the message she was trying to say was "some of my fellow nationals can be so stupid," not making a derogatory remark necessarily, but more of a social commentary on the stupidity of the people that she is around. Especially given that she isn't a native English speaker (although, Mania, your story was captivating and very well-written, given that!), I just read it that way. Maybe that's not how it was intended, but I just assumed she wasn't trying to throw an offensive remark in there.
However, I've never really bought into the whole thing that says that if you're part of a group, it's ok to make derogatory comments that would be offensive if it came from someone outside of that group. I think that an offensive comment is always offensive, and it only perpetuates the ideas included if people of the group say them about themselves. But, that's just me.

Ok, that was off topic, but just felt like giving my $.02. Mania, as for the point of the discussion - great job! He owes you his life, and you should be proud that you kept your cool and continued to "argue" in defense of getting him the treatment he deserves. Bravo!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom