DCS - saw it 1st time in my life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htn123:
Mania,
I haven't dive alot but don't you supposed to set your computer for your dive profile? ie nitrox? why would Elaine comment was to set the computer to air profile?
The reason is simple - it's safer. Diving nitrox and following the air profile reduces the risk of nitrogen narcosis but at the same time reduces the risk of CNS (which is a very serious risk in diving nitrox). It also allows you to keep lower PpO2. So I myself do this quite often - dive nitrox but using air tables instead of nitrox ones.
Mania

htn123:
Hmmmm, I haven't dive alot but don't you supposed to set your computer for your dive profile? ie nitrox? why would Elaine comment was to set the computer to air profile?

It basically makes the dive more conservative. eg. You can technically stay down for 30mn on nitrox, but if you dive an air table you may only be allowed to stay for 25min. In this case, it gives you a 5min 'buffer'.

mania:
The reason is simple - it's safer. Diving nitrox and following the air profile reduces the risk of nitrogen narcosis but at the same time reduces the risk of CNS (which is a very serious risk in diving nitrox). It also allows you to keep lower PpO2. So I myself do this quite often - dive nitrox but using air tables instead of nitrox ones.
Mania

Sorry mania, but I'm pretty sure in this case you aren't reducing your CNS risk or changng the ppo2. You *are* reducing your nitrogen loading though..

nurkuj bezpiecznie!

I would think you would have a higher PPO2. If you dive at 33 feet with air PPO2 is .42 but it would be .72 on 36%.

A main problem with diving nitrox on air if using a computer is it will not warn you about the MOD. I guess you couold set a max depth alarm.

I just cannot see how anyone can lack the willpower to stay 5 minutes off the NDL. It is so much less complicated.

Am I wrong?

Actually diving Nitrox using the air tables is no safer than diving air using the air tables. You chances of getting DCS are the same.

Also, wanted to comment on your 'a lot of poles are stupid' comment. I couldnt agree more. There are several stupid Polish people out in this world, and they are joined by Asians, Americans, Mexicans, Canadians, etc etc.. :)

If some one calls a whole nationality of people(which they belong to)stupid. Do the smart ones get offended or................BUT seriously, if I called all Americans stupid, instead of getting offended, they would probably think I was the stupid one. But any way, nice job on the story Mania. Good thing you were there.

jepuskar:
Actually diving Nitrox using the air tables is no safer than diving air using the air tables. You chances of getting DCS are the same.

Also, wanted to comment on your 'a lot of poles are stupid' comment. I couldnt agree more. There are several stupid Polish people out in this world, and they are joined by Asians, Americans, Mexicans, Canadians, etc etc.. :)

Hay wate a sekund, I r knot stoopud.

TX101:
Sorry mania, but I'm pretty sure in this case you aren't reducing your CNS risk or changng the ppo2. You *are* reducing your nitrogen loading though..

nurkuj bezpiecznie!

Well you are right but what I meant is that when I'm diving nitrox and using air tables then I dive much more conservative than air or nitrox itself. I'm much above nitrox MOD and shorter than nitrox tabels allow.
Sometimes I dive nitrox as nitrox but in mainly cases i use it to be less tired after dive.
So as somebody said diving nitrox with air tables is much more conservative.
Pozdrowionka :wink:
tracker:
If some one calls a whole nationality of people(which they belong to)stupid. Do the smart ones get offended or..
This topic was already discussed here and I did apologize for calling Poles stupid - although as a Pole I think I have the right to think whatever I want about my nation.

But please - I asked all of you a question and I need your help. Do you think I should publish the name of the diving center or no?
Mania

First, congratulations on a good call and a very good report, thanks for sharing it with us.

If anybody really wants to know because they happen to be going to Egypt soon they could just PM you as Stivo has already asked, or how about another post called "Who NOT to dive with while in Egypt."

I also think that if you were there first hand and want to name the dive centre then you have every right to, it's not like you're just passing along information that you heard from someone else and might not be true, YOU WERE THERE, these are the facts and yes, sometimes the truth hurts.

You mention also that people might remember the name for the wrong reason and actually use the dive centre. Well if these people remember the name of the dive centre but they don't remember this story, then they were not really paying attention to what they were reading and that's not your fault. You can not protect all the stupid people in the world. BTW people, I don't believe in political correctness it's BS, call it as you see it.

mania:
But please - I asked all of you a question and I need your help. Do you think I should publish the name of the diving center or no?
Mania
I can only quote Uncle Pug's rules for this forum:

(1) Events will be "scrubbed" of names. You may refer to articles or news releases already in the public domain, but the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) No "blamestorming." Accident analysis does not "find fault" - it finds hazards - and how to reduce or eliminate them.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling.
(5) Remember that you cannot read minds. Restrict comments to what happened and how to prevent it, without speculating on what someone else was thinking (or not). The only thoughts you are qualified to share are your own.

It seems to me that you should not post the name of the center, but could give it in private messages to people who ask.

Back
Top Bottom