DCS due to reading computer wrong (I think)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero, I have already accepted that it was my fault and I must have been narked. That, plus the excitement of the moment contributed to the error. While I am happy to accept constructive criticism - like the other posts in this thread, you are simply using the opportunity to settle old scores (from other forums) by being deliberately insulting. I was not being complacent or fostering any "dangerous attitude". It was just a human error and will not happen again.

Hintermann, I don't know what you're talking about in regard to 'old scores'. I don't keep scores, and therefore there was no intent to insult you. Nevertheless, I'm sorry that your sensibilities have been brought to the fore through my remarks. Regardless, when divers engage in big dives such as the one you undertook, they should have thick enough skin to man up to the kinds of serious errors in judgment you made without getting prickly.

My comments are merely to point out that while you say you accept that you made mistakes, you still seem to be in some level of denial given that you describe your narcosis as 'slight' and you blow off your serious mistakes as 'excitement'. and 'just human error'. This kind of frank discussion is meant only as 'tough love' because we really hate to see the results of actions like yours here and in the Condolences forums.

You are apparently not yet fully aware of just how very, very, very lucky you have been, and what a truly close call you have had. It's more than clear that you were complacent, and it's more than clear that this attitude of complacency was dangerous to you. The proof of this is in the fact that you got bent. This was not an 'undeserved hit'.

YIKES!!! with EAN25 and 172 fsw, I get a ppO2 of 1.55.

Have you taken a Nitrox class, or do you just do what the DM says ?

Sorry to bust your chops, but DCS would have the lesser of my worries

V-planner gives me 101 cu ft of gas (with proper deco) (SAC=0.7). Is your SAC really that good?
Ox-tox would have been among the lesser of my worries. As you probably know, ox-tox is dose dependent, and 1.6 PO2 used to be the generally accepted safe threshold. If a consensus has emerged around a lower threshold (1.4, it seems) it has not been the result of a spate of ox-tox cases, but rather a move towards greater prudence. His short exposure at 1.55 (I get 1.47, using 51.4 meters and 24%) would not have troubled me. In addition to DCS, the aggregate risk of small emergencies that could have been rendered serious by the bare-bones gas supply would loom much higher on my risk hierarchy, as has been discussed.

These threads always generate a lot of criticism, as you would expect, but I think they are probably the most useful conversations on the ScubaBoard. I thank the OP for posting (there's no way I would—my skin's too thin).

I think they are probably the most useful conversations on the ScubaBoard.
I think so too. These are cautionary tales that allow all of us to learn from the technical and attitudinal errors of others. Perhaps a life will be spared just through this one thread.

YIKES!!! with EAN25 and 172 fsw, I get a ppO2 of 1.55.

Have you taken a Nitrox class, or do you just do what the DM says ?

Sorry to bust your chops, but DCS would have the lesser of my worries

I have taken extensive nitrox/tech/deco training, and I have done the SFM on 24%. I would not hesitate to do so again. The water is ~80F, the bottom time spent at 1.55 is short, and the diving is easy with very little exertion. Very low risk of tox'ing.

In defence of JJ and his crew, there was an unused full air tank at 10m along the line that I was ascending and Big Sam was hovering about 5m above me all the time. It did surprise me afterwards that Sam said nothing about my decon stop being not enough. Perhaps with so many of us around he lost track of my dive. Cannot blame him - I should have been the one to have been more careful.

Assuming Big Sam is a divemaster, then the answer is because it's not his job to monitor your deco. Ultimately it's every diver's responsibility to dive safely. Doing intentional deco dives on a single tank with no tech training is simply unsafe, and I'm just really surprised that both you and the person running this boat don't see it that way. It seems self evident to me.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 07:32 AM ----------

The Odyssey, unlike many/most liveaboards, treats every diver like an adult. They give very thorough briefings on each site, including depths to all areas of the wreck in question. They do not, however, plan your dive for you. Planning the dive - including depth, mix, bottom time, and stops - is up to the individual diver.

While I agree, I do feel that it is incumbent on a professional dive operation to require some standard of safety with their dives. A very reasonable standard would be to adhere to the standard training protocols of the various agencies, or at least come close. Intentional deco without redundancy or training is way off the charts as acceptable dive behavior from any of the training agencies. That's why I was surprised to hear that this seems to be common practice on this boat.

You said "I'd take a little DCS to dive TRUK!"

Well let's put it this way if I knew it was going to happened and it wasn't going to have lasting effects then I wouldn't let spoil what for me would be a once in a lifetime vacation. Contrast: after 2 years we've saved enough to drive to NC so I can dive 3-4 days and my wife can enjoy the beach.

Well let's put it this way if I knew it was going to happened and it wasn't going to have lasting effects then I wouldn't let spoil what for me would be a once in a lifetime vacation. Contrast: after 2 years we've saved enough to drive to NC so I can dive 3-4 days and my wife can enjoy the beach.
Well, if it's any consolation, the beach at Truk is pretty disappointing. :wink:

When I did this dive it was with a buddy. We dove the same profile. His computer was more conservative than mine. Therefore we did the decompression stop and safety stop to his computer. Were you diving solo?

On a recent trip to Truk Lagoon, I had my first and hopefully only experience of DCS. Fortunately, it was not severe and I did not need to go into a decompression chamber. I believe it was a diver error, most likely because I did not read my computer right.

It was on the penutimate dive of the week long cruise on board the MV Truk Odyssey. Like others on board, I had a great time diving the Operation Hailstone wrecks and apart from a problem with my camera housing, all had gone well till that dive.

The dive was over the wreck of San Francisco Maru, the so-called "Million Dollar Wreck". It was a deep dive just beyond the 50m mark and since we were all diving on single tank 24% nitrox, the dive plan was very carefully discussed. For a start, we were required to miss the night dive the previous evening to increase the surface interval. The divers would go down in 2 groups of 8 divers each and each group was supervised by 2 divemasters who hovered just above the top deck where they could keep all their charges in sight. The visibility was good to the point of eeriness as we descended down the line to the top deck at 52m. Although we were warned about the possibility of narcosis, I did not experience any. Bottom time was strictly limited to 15 minutes and since the wreck lies dead upright with the cargo holds wide open and all the interesting bits clearly visible on or just inside the deck, exploration involved little more than swimming up and down the ship looking at things. My own maximum depth was 51.4 metres and at exactly 15 minutes I began a slow ascent. At that point I checked my Aladin Tec 2G computer and thought it indicated a safety stop of 14 minutes. I am not excatly sure what I was looking at but in my excitement of the dive I failed to read it properly somehow. Later check by the DM revealed that it should have been 22 minutes.

I did 5 minute stops at 15, 10 and 5 meteres, totalling 15 minutes and ascended to the surface. Feeling fine, I stripped off, had a cold shower and wrote-up the log. I then went to the lounge and was sipping a lemonade when I felt pain in my lower ribs. It quickly spread to the entire rib cage, both arms and shoulders and I felt weak and dizzy. I alerted a nearby divemaster who immediately made me lie down and administered 100% oxygen. After about an hour of that the pain gradually went away but the dizziness persisted for 4 to 5 hours. But the worst part of the ordeal was unbelivable weakness that lasted for almost 24 hours. I was only able to lie on my bunk for most of that time and was barely fit to disembark next morning. But I got better during the day and was fine to fly late that night.

On a recent trip to Truk Lagoon, I had my first and hopefully only experience of DCS. Fortunately, it was not severe and I did not need to go into a decompression chamber. I believe it was a diver error, most likely because I did not read my computer right. . . It was a deep dive just beyond the 50m mark and since we were all diving on single tank 24% nitrox, the dive plan was very carefully discussed. . . . Bottom time was strictly limited to 15 minutes . . . My own maximum depth was 51.4 metres and at exactly 15 minutes I began a slow ascent. . . . I checked my Aladin Tec 2G computer and thought it indicated a safety stop of 14 minutes. . . . Later check by the DM revealed that it should have been 22 minutes.

Feeling fine, I stripped off, had a cold shower and wrote-up the log. I then went to the lounge and was sipping a lemonade when I felt pain in my lower ribs. It quickly spread to the entire rib cage, both arms and shoulders and I felt weak and dizzy. I alerted a nearby divemaster who immediately made me lie down and administered 100% oxygen. After about an hour of that the pain gradually went away but the dizziness persisted for 4 to 5 hours. But the worst part of the ordeal was unbelivable weakness that lasted for almost 24 hours. . .
Thanks for a very interesting post and honest self-assessment! From my perspective, your presumptive self-diagnosis appears reasonable (or else, that was some really bad lemonade).

I have not yet been to Truk, so I am not familiar with the 'usual and customary' diving practices there. As a consequence, others (including the OP) should feel free to dismiss my comments, as being naive in the context of that environment. But, your post prompts some questions.

I would agree with some other responses, that this should be / have been considered a technical, decompression dive, and planned that way. Or, to put it another way, I would always plan a dive to 52 m for 15 minutes as a deco dive. That way, I would know, in advance, what to expect in terms of what stops, at what depths, for how long. That would possibly also reduce the likelihood of a misread of the computer. But, I get the impression that such was not the case, although perhaps the 'discussion' you mentioned was just that - planning for a deco dive. That is not a criticism, just a statement of my personal views. It may well be that doing a 52 m dive this way is the standard for Truk. Now, having said this, I readily admit that I have done a 'spontaneous' deco dive on two occasions - to recover objects after a dive - but did so after quick planning on shore, and taking decompression gases with me.

Did other divers follow approximately the same schedule that you did, or did the others in your group of 8 stay down longer on the ascent (e.g. were their stops more consistent with the '22 minutes' or the ~14 minutes)?

You mention diving a single cylinder, and I would be interested in knowing what size cylinder did you take on a 52 m / 15 min bottom time dive? Also, were you (more importantly, were the DMs) carrying a redundant air supply, at depth? You mentioned a cylinder hanging at a shallow depth, so I am curious what provisions are usually made on Truk, for dives like this.

Finally, is there a chamber on Truk? If not, then the failure of the boat op to transfer you to a medical facility with a chamber makes a lot of sense. :) But, at least in the US, if the events occurred as described, I cannot think of a captain who would not insist that you be evaluated by competent medical personnel (yourself excluded, of course). Your presentation, in the context of the dive, and the administration of oxygen was - if I may use the term - and absolute indication for further evaluation.

I do not say this as a criticism of your actions - it could be that this reflects standard practice on Truk. I am curious, however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom