DAN's DEMP Cert - Highly Recommed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I know this may not be the correct forum but I am a relatively frequent poster on Grand Cayman, Bonaire and Curacao forums. For those familiar with me and my posts I have been diving for 40 years and going strong. Another past time is working as a maintainer on the Appalachian Trail. Only been doing this for 25 or so years. As a certified NPS Sawyer, I have to keep my first aid and CPR certs current.

Stumbled across DAN's DEMP (Diving Emergency Management Provider) Certification while looking for some place nearby to do my recerts. Just completed the course and I wanted to share with you all that I thought it was invaluable and worth the time and money. Most of the course is online study with an evening with the instructor going over the practical skills. The details and course content can be found on the DAN website but the highlights for me for diving was the training on O2 administration and treatment for suspected DCIs and treatment and wound care for scrapes, cuts, bites, stings likely to be encountered diving.

Would highly recommend to active divers taking dive trips every year. Anyone doing a lot of boat diving would benefit from the O2 and DCI training and the first aid part for stings, scraps and bites would be especially useful those who tend to dive on their own whether solo or buddy such as independent shore diving in Bon and CUR.

Happy Diving.

I've taught this class a number of times and those students give it high marks too.
Good job, DAN!

Is this their DFA Pro (Diving First Aid, CPR, and O2 Provider) course? If so, I took it in 2017 and agree that it's well worth the time and money spent doing it. I'm due for a re-up on CPR at the end of summer so I may take the CPR part of it again. Lots of good material covered in the class.

Edit: The DFA Pro is the professional level course recommended for commercial divers, instructors, DM's, etc. so it goes a little more in depth I think. But both are great courses!

Is this their DFA Pro (Diving First Aid, CPR, and O2 Provider) course? If so, I took it in 2017 and agree that it's well worth the time and money spent doing it. I'm due for a re-up on CPR at the end of summer so I may take the CPR part of it again. Lots of good material covered in the class.

Edit: The DFA Pro is the professional level course recommended for commercial divers, instructors, DM's, etc. so it goes a little more in depth I think. But both are great courses!
They are different in content and structure. DEMP is an efficient combination of four stand-alone classes (basic CPR/AED and first aid, O2, neuro symptoms, and hazardous marine life) and does not get into two-person CPR or fancy O2 delivery. DFA Pro does cover more, and is a single text that is an integration of all the other material. Do DFA Pro if you can find it, but DEMP is pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom