Dangerous Hurricane Dean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toonchoon:
Hope this wont be too bad, it is a bit exciting, but also annoying as i have my 8 days planned out fairly well, with diving and lounging.

How do hurricanes affect diving the days after the hurricane?

Excuse me if I'm a little sensitive to your remarks, but a Cat 4 hurricane is NOT exciting (yes, in a bad way)! If you decide to go ahead and make your trip just for the "adventure" then you should stay home.

If it does hit...(still really too early to be sure...Saturday will give us a more accurate picture)...you will not be diving for at least a week afterwards and trust me, you won't find it so "exciting" when you see what we go through in the aftermath.

Hurricanes are not fun and games...they are serious business and affect lives, not just vacations.

It really is still too early to have an accurate picture. Since last night, two computer models have drastically changed the course...and the one that had Dean headed straight for us now has Dean making a northern turn after hitting Jamaica. Three models show the storm hitting south of us. I'm not letting my gaurd down, but there is still hope! The odds are in our favor with four out of the five models missing Cozumel!

at200704_model.gif

Christi, Our fingers are crossed for all you guys, hope it takes the blue path...

Joe & Peg

I'm not so sure those in 'nawlins (that remember Katrina) would like the 'blue path.'

Maybe it'll just wimp out, tuck tail, and turn back into a tropical storm, or take on a first time new initiative to turn hard south, and smack Hugo Chavez in the butt...

With all due respect to Christi, and I hope it really does miss cozumel and anywhere else with people for that matter, we are currently here in Cozumel with our plans to leave on Monday. Well, at this point, all indications are that Monday will not be a fun day here at all and most likely will not have flights. We are staying at Villa Aldora and they will be making preparations on Saturday and Sunday for the storm unless something changes in the next 24 hours. They will be closing down the Villa Aldora on Sunday and we would be without a place to stay in any case.

If you READ the discussion that comes from NOAA and other weather forecasting agencies, there is little to stop this storm from intensifying and making a straight line across towards the Yucatan.. Who knows really about where the direct hit would occur at this point, but I do know I don't want to be here in the local's way when they have to deal with this and personally why should I risk my family's safety.

So, to that end, we have had to buy 1 way tickets to leave on Saturday on Continental since American hasn't included Cozumel in the risk zone yet so they won't change anything and they said they won't add additional flights even if the storm hits and currently there is very limited seating on any flights to change to over the weekend, this could get interesting.

I really hope it misses and I feel for everyone in the path of any storm, this is one of my favorite places to visit and would love to stay for months, but I am confident we are doing the right thing in getting out early and leaving the local's to their duties prior to the storm. We'll pray for the best.

Christi:
The odds are in our favor with four out of the five models missing Cozumel!
I like those odds. :D All you can do is stay positive at this point.

parrotheaddiver:
TS Erin is upon us today and dumping tons of rain
Luckily it's now only TD Erin(Tropical Depression) hitting us but at any rate, we can use some rain here. I'm not making light of the situation in regards to named storms, but TD Erin is my first named stormed since moving to Texas... Yew-haw!

BKP:
take on a first time new initiative to turn hard south, and smack Hugo Chavez in the butt...
Wouldn't that be great?

rjsimp: Sorry to hear Dean has put a damper on your vacation. Hurricanes suck! You've gotta go with your gut. Good luck and safe travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom