Dana Point, CA - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Any advice will be welcome.

I will be staying at Dana Point, CA for a few days in late June on a business trip, but will have a couple afternoons open.

Dive sites?
Dive shops to contact for excursion?
Average water temps for that time of year?

Thanks for any help,

theskull

If I were you and had the time, I would go to Catalina via the heli (San Pedro) or The Newport Flyer.

catherine96821:
If I were you and had the time, I would go to Catalina via the heli (San Pedro) or The Newport Flyer.

I have the opportunity to spend a Saturday on the island.
Is there a dive operator on the island? Who can I contact to arrange some diving?

I have never been to California since I became a diver, so I have no contacts and no previous experience upon which to draw.

I'm also not picky. If I'm underwater it will be beautiful. Visibility is optional. Pretty fish are optional. Water temp is irrelevant as long as I know what it will be so I can be properly dressed. Happy to fight currents if that's part of the deal. I like diving! :)

theskull

kelpmermaid:
to SoCal in the CA forum below. You might get more prompt action there.

Don't know how to move a post once it has been made. Tried to put it in SoCal to start with but got a prompt that said I had to be a member of some SoCal cult to be able to put a post in their part of the board.

This is the first time I've asked for help on this board, and apparently I need help in knowing how to ask help as well!

theskull

You might want to try PMing a moderator to ask them to move the entire thread for you.

As for diving info, drbill is probably the best candidate but he's offline for a few days. I'm not sure when he'll be back home in Catalina (other than it should be very soon), but in case he misses this thread, I'd advise sending him a PM as well.

Enjoy your visit! (I enjoyed mine and I'm not even a diver yet! :wink:)

theskull:
This is the first time I've asked for help on this board, and apparently I need help in knowing how to ask help as well!

theskull

Not to worry! As just mentioned, a moderator can move it for you.

You might want to take a look at the Catalina Island sticky in the SoCal forum, too. Lots of helpful info there, and a new SoCal sticky is also in the works...

and FYI, Catalina Express has departures from Dana Point...

Thanks.

I'll follow up on those suggestions.

theskull

Moved per your collective request...

THere is plenty of diving just up the coast at Laguna Beach. Several dive clubs dive have dives during the week and as was suggested try to make it to Catalina. I'd start of with dive Avalon Underwater park...lots to see and its right there with a relatively easy entry (depending on time of day and numbers of divers in the water)

June -- expect water temps in the upper 50s to lower 60s.

Otter:
Moved per your collective request...

THere is plenty of diving just up the coast at Laguna Beach. Several dive clubs dive have dives during the week and as was suggested try to make it to Catalina. I'd start of with dive Avalon Underwater park...lots to see and its right there with a relatively easy entry (depending on time of day and numbers of divers in the water)

June -- expect water temps in the upper 50s to lower 60s.

Thanks for moving the topic.

And really extra double thanks for giving water temp--I had not been able to locate that in the other areas referenced! That's what I would call cool water--not cold, but not warm, nice and refreshing.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom