California Dreaming (planning): Catalina and Laguna Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its been many moons since I dove Shaw's Cove (did a sabbatical at Scripp's Institute)

But,

For those without surf experience, I would highly recommend the San Diego Scuba Diving Council's Course: Rocks, Rips and Reefs (the 3R's). The course is all about doing multiple shore entries / exits in the surf zone from a variety of locations.

As a Mid-Westerner (with no surf experience at the time), I found the 3R's to be a highly useful course and would recommend this as a pre-requite for novice divers doing first dives in the Southern California surf zone. It is one of the best specialty courses I have taken.

Sill a lot of white water around the reef at Treasure Island. Took a walk to check out conditions amid the gathering storm clouds. Took a few pics. Maybe better conditions next week. M

VYts93.jpg

Took a few pics.
That's a 'Magazine Cover Quality Shot ". Nice pict!!

For those without surf experience, I would highly recommend the San Diego Scuba Diving Council's Course: Rocks, Rips and Reefs (the 3R's).

I would highly recommend the 3Rs even if you have surf experience. They're sometimes staffed by local lifeguards with many years of experience, and can often show the locals something new.

Derek

That's a 'Magazine Cover Quality Shot ". Nice pict!!
Thanks. The last magazine cover I shot was for a Western Airlines in-flight magazine around 1978. I haven't shot pro since then. M

3Rs is also available in LA County via the underwater unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom