Catalina Island in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello. I´m visiting San Diego at the middel of August. I have benn offered with a trip to Catalina Island with 3 dives for 300$ and I don´t know if it worht it. I have read that in summer the visivility is not great, but is my first time diving in the USA and I have no idea.

Any advice?

I will also dive in la Joya, but is not that expensive.

Thank you!

Hello. I´m visiting San Diego at the middel of August. I have benn offered with a trip to Catalina Island with 3 dives for 300$ and I don´t know if it worht it. I have read that in summer the visivility is not great, but is my first time diving in the USA and I have no idea.

Any advice?

I will also dive in la Joya, but is not that expensive.

Thank you!
I think $300 for a day is a bit much (average boats are now $200-250. Prices have been climbing steadily for the last 10 years). Does the boat leave from San Diego (a long run) or does that include ground transportation to the LA area, where most boats are based? Does it include gear rental if you need it?

Visibility has been great lately (see the chlorophyl image, bluer the better) but could change overnight. Temps are cool/cold so that's not for everyone. I would expect 70ish on the surface, 60ish at depth but you should be comfortable in a 7mm suit.

There's a good chance you will dive in a lush kelp forest, perhaps swim with a bunch of sealions and a 500lb giant sea bass. It's hard to quantify those experiences in dollar terms.

You can certainly have a similar experience for much less at La Jolla -- perhaps even see a sevengill shark there -- but visibility tends to be about twice as good at Catalina as it is on the mainland (note the green water color along the coast in the chlorophyl image).

What boat?

1690628809133.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 3.49.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-29 at 3.49.14 AM.png
    597.9 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for your answer. Yes the gear and transport is included. Im looking some boats

Thanks for your answer. Yes the gear and transport is included. Im looking some boats
If all is included it's not a bad deal. I love California diving and I would do it. Hope you have a very memorable trip.

What would recommend to a diver visiting Iberia? I may head your way this year.

I dove two Catalina sites this week from a boat. Viz was fine. I'd take that deal--especially if it includes gear rental.

Thank a lot for your answers. I'll do it.

About Spain, in Granada you have La Herradura beach (in Almuñécar village) September and October are great. Nice visibility and warm water (20 -25 Celcius) but it depends on the wind, it is good when it comes from the east. Also you have de Canary Islands (Tenerife and Gran Canaria) for me are the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom