DAN vs Dive Assure Travel Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before you decide which travel insurance is best for you, make absolutely sure you read and understand every word in their terms and conditions, and read it from the standpoint of how their attorneys might try to deny your claim. Most people do not do that, and sometimes it bites them in the butt. A while back, I discovered DAN had a single phrase in one of their conditions that would void your travel insurance claim for an injury sustained while diving unless you were with a DM. I believe they have dropped that idiotic requirement after I complained to DAN's president, and pointed out that "gotcha" for all to see on SB. But, the lesson is: Make sure you understand what you are buying in travel insurance, and whether your planned dive activities are covered as you think they should be. The only way to protect yourself is to read the document. Don't rely on what some diver or what the insurance company's phone rep tells you.

According to the PDF you can download from DAN, coverage of non-dive medical events varies with which level you buy. The basic "Master" plan level does not cover "Medical Non-Dive Accident Coverage Occurring outside home country", but the higher level plans do ($10k and $20k limits.) See page 12 of DAN's "Dive Insurance Handbook"

If you go to the DAN insurance website, you will have to click and hunt a little, but theres an online PDF booklet that answers alot of questions..

Purpose of Dan is to cover you during an accident, since your own regular insurance will not. If you fly home tomorrow, but your accident was today and you miss your flight they cover the fees. You or someone call DAN then, not when you get better and get home.

...Purpose of Dan is to cover you during an accident, since your own regular insurance will not....
This statement is a little misleading.

Most (all?) regular medical insurance policies exclude injuries caused by extreme activities (think hang gliding, car racing,...). Some (many?) consider scuba diving as an extreme activity and will exclude coverage. Some do not.

scuba diving IS covered by my regular medical insurance. I have no need to purchase DAN dive insurance. Read the fine print of your current policy and then if in doubt, phone the provider and explictly ask. You may already be covered as well?

You generally need 3 types of insurance when travelling to scuba dive:
- trip cancellation
- trip interruption
- medical
All of these have exclusions that are designed to lower the cost of the product so that it is easier to sell. The cheaper the product, the more exclusions. And to make things even more confusing, 2 or more of these are often combined into a single product (but not always).

Back
Top Bottom