DAN Membership/Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the Guardian! With an accident that happened at the resort, not on the boat, they payed 100%. So I didn't have to cover the deductible of my regular insurance. Then came a DCS hit. And yes, other than being in the water it was undeserved. At the cost of approximately $17,000, they payed 100%. So even safe profiles do not exclude you from #$!& happening.

I have always tried to take a belt and suspenders approach to risk. Having coverage through DAN makes just makes sense - for me at least - and provides peace of mind for family members back home.

Get the Guardian! With an accident that happened at the resort, not on the boat, they payed 100%. So I didn't have to cover the deductible of my regular insurance. Then came a DCS hit. And yes, other than being in the water it was undeserved. At the cost of approximately $17,000, they payed 100%. So even safe profiles do not exclude you from #$!& happening.
Lower (i.e. None!) Deductible.

Good point.

Is a deductible common for travel medical insurance? I have not noticed it (or thought about it) in products I researched. I should recheck!

Thanks.

I have always tried to take a belt and suspenders approach to risk. Having coverage through DAN makes just makes sense - for me at least - and provides peace of mind for family members back home.
But, but, but... You can not over insure.

So maybe you are wasting money buying multiple products?

But, but, but... You can not over insure.

So maybe you are wasting money buying multiple products?
LOL. Maybe you shouldn't seem to worry about it so much! DAN is cheap, Let It Go.

Its not clear where you live, but in the United States, if you read your medical insurance policy very very carefully, you would be surprised at what you would be responsible for if you travel, even domestically but outside your contracted network. For instance, you could be insured in Boston, but if you get into an accident in Florida, your insurance might pay only it’s own network rate to the emergency room. There is nothing to prevent that emergency room to balance bill you for the difference between what your insurance company paid and what they charge to an out of their network patient. It could be a whole order of magnitude greater.

Its not clear where you live, but in the United States, if you read your medical insurance policy very very carefully, you would be surprised at what you would be responsible for if you travel, even domestically but outside your contracted network. For instance, you could be insured in Boston, but if you get into an accident in Florida, your insurance might pay only it’s own network rate to the emergency room. There is nothing to prevent that emergency room to balance bill you for the difference between what your insurance company paid and what they charge to an out of their network patient. It could be a whole order of magnitude greater.
Well said.

Lower (i.e. None!) Deductible.

Good point.

Is a deductible common for travel medical insurance? I have not noticed it (or thought about it) in products I researched. I should recheck!

Thanks.

There was not a deductabe with DAN coverage. If I had been relying on my BCBS there would have been.

In 2004, I had an incident of DCS2 while in Grand Cayman. I had to pay, by credit card, both the hospital fees and the separate chamber fee.
When I arrived home I filed papers with my primary health insurance carrier. (recall that DAN is a "secondary" insurance-it kicks in after your primary insurance does it's thing. My primary paid the majority of the medical bills, including $15,000 worth of "chamber rides.
After arriving home, and receiving that payment, I submitted uncovered bills, etc., to the DAN insurance people.
That policy reimbursed me for:

1)Some medical costs not covered by my primary insurance carrier.

2) The cost of two plane tickets home, when we could not reschedule on our original airline.

3) The cost of shipping the home all our luggage, including dive gear, as I had written orders from the doctor to not carry, drag, or lift anything for a two week period.

4) Most of the cost of three additional at the hotel, also the result of written orders from the doctor. The three days were required for more medical treatment, and to be medically cleared to fly.

(note: this was in 2004, it is possible that "things change")

The reimbursement for these items totaled approximately $2700, $2400 of which was for items 2, 3, 4, in the preceding list, costs which, obviously, were not covered by my regular health insurance.

As a result of this experience, I would never dive without the DAN insurance.
I give that product my highest endorsement, while hoping you never have to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom