D5 or Teric - convince me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excerpt, from another Post.
He advice to me........Shearwater Perdix.
It is a "Top Shelf." Decompression, Mixed Gas Computer. He specifically said NOT to buy the Air Integrated. (It could propose an unwanted failure, different scenarios were discussed.)

Ummm... yeah.... Having the AI model (but not using the AI) could result in an unwanted failure because of the unused AI.... And you could also get hit by a meteorite during your dive....

If you don't want AI, I agree that buying a Perdix is a good choice - but I would strongly recommend anyone to look for a used Perdix for a good price, rather than buying a new one. Shearwater is the only dive computer company I know of that has a 2 year warranty and it's transferable. A used non-AI Perdix is usually not TOO hard to find from someone who wants to sell it upgrade to a Perdix AI or Teric.

For AI, I would only (personally) invest in the transmitter that is used by many, including Shearwater. There is a reason why so many brands use that same transmitter. It has been around for years and proven that it just works. Not that they never, ever break. But, they are pretty darn reliable (if you do the manufacturer specified maintenance - i.e. replace the battery on schedule, with a new, properly-lubed O-ring).

Ummm... yeah.... Having the AI model (but not using the AI) could result in an unwanted failure because of the unused AI.... And you could also get hit by a meteorite during your dive....

If you don't want AI, I agree that buying a Perdix is a good choice - but I would strongly recommend anyone to look for a used Perdix for a good price, rather than buying a new one. Shearwater is the only dive computer company I know of that has a 2 year warranty and it's transferable. A used non-AI Perdix is usually not TOO hard to find from someone who wants to sell it upgrade to a Perdix AI or Teric.

For AI, I would only (personally) invest in the transmitter that is used by many, including Shearwater. There is a reason why so many brands use that same transmitter. It has been around for years and proven that it just works. Not that they never, ever break. But, they are pretty darn reliable (if you do the manufacturer specified maintenance - i.e. replace the battery on schedule, with a new, properly-lubed O-ring).

(It could propose an unwanted failure, different scenarios were discussed.) One was moving down a passageway in a wreck, and misjudging the height of the hatchway. (Potentially, damaging the transmitter, or First stage.
My reply was in regard to Shearwaters Customer Service.
I have to be more careful, how I post. People read "Only." what they want.
Technically, this was my fault. My apologies.
Cheers.

You compared the Teric on Medium conservatism to a D4i and sold the Teric because it gave you less NDL?? You know that Medium is SUPPOSED to give you less NDL that, for example, Conservatism set to Low, right?

Yes, of course, I realize that. My point is that one would think that a medium conservatism the Teric would roughly match the D4i. But that's not the case at all.

Your results are impossible, as it's a well known fact that all Suunto computers are irrationally conservative and couldn't possibly give a longer NDL time than a Shearwater under any circumstances, despite hard evidence to the contrary here.

Uh, can't tell if you're joking. Leaving aside my admittedly non-scientific findings, did you watch the video?

Your results are impossible, as it's a well known fact that all Suunto computers are irrationally conservative and couldn't possibly give a longer NDL time than a Shearwater under any circumstances, despite hard evidence to the contrary here.

This is a screenshot from the review I referenced in my original post. You will see that the D5 indicates 24 minutes of NDL while the Teric shows only 17. I suppose it's possible he had the Teric set very conservatively but he doesn't say so as far as I can recall (it's a lengthy video).

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 5.54.43 PM.png

This is a screenshot from the review I referenced in my original post. You will see that the D5 indicates 24 minutes of NDL while the Teric shows only 17. I suppose it's possible he had the Teric set very conservatively but he doesn't say so as far as I can recall (it's a lengthy video).

View attachment 586470
Looking at these I see 10 minutes of gas time remaining and 17 minutes of NDL, I also know that the Teric will increase the NDL as you come up. If the real concern is extended NDL just dive the old tables but you’ll need more gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom