D5 or Teric - convince me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbernard01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

Since we've been on lockdown, I've got the bug to buy a new computer. Currently using a D4i which I have been (mostly) happy with and a Vyper Air as a backup in a boot with my SPG. I say 'mostly happy' because I love wrist AI but the lack of being rechargeable has let me down more than once. Died on a trip once even though the battery check said it was OK two weeks before the trip and required a rush replacement before another trip. The Vyper Air is my backup because I got it cheap with a free (spare) transmitter and they both pair with the same transmitter.

Getting older, the idea of a color screen being more visible is highly attractive and the fact that they are both rechargeable is huge.

Whatever I do, I'll likely pass the D4i/vyper combo to my daughter as she's familiar with Suunto - currently diving with a Cobra AI.

So.... Since the D5 and Teric both require a new transmitter, which would you choose? I'll likely stuff a Zoop or a Puck into the console with my SPG.

All thoughts welcome - even from Suunto and Shearwater fanboys.

Thank You!

Shearwater make the ultimate dive computer. You will never grow out a shearwater no matter where you take your diving. Recreational, Technical, Rebreather...shearwater just does it all. That for me is enough reason to always choose shearwater.

I wouldn't buy anything Suunto at all anymore! Suunto, in addition to technical inferiority, has a terrible customer service with an arrogant attitude.

I would look at the Teric, Ratio's iDive color or the new offering from SP, the A2.

My D9 is quite old now, but on its features I wouldn't buy another Suunto. The cost is serious, but the functionality is nothing special and the interface isn't simple. It does stupid things like lock you out if you miss a stop, so it's a terrible backup as you need to treat it like a primary.

Shearwater upgrade their firmware regularly via the cloud. Better interface, less restrictive algorithm, etc.

Pick whatever works for you and your diving.

A Dive Computer is a tool, what do you need the tool to do? If you are purely a recreational diver there is nothing wrong with the Suunto, it has modern technology, is made by a large company with support (panned as it might be), and has a large support network, and costs a couple hundred dollars less than a Shearwater. On the negative side it uses a proprietary and conservative algorithm, does not have trimix capability, and is not really designed as a technical diving computer.

The Shearwater Teric (full disclaimer I have one), is designed to be a fully capable tech computer, has user adjustable conservatism (gradient factors), uses an open source algorithm, and has legendary customer support. The downside is that it does cost a bit more. You can make up some of the cost difference by getting a used transmitter, i find them available commonly for about $200-250 vice $350 new.

Is the cost and extra functionality worth it to you? Only you can answer that based on what you want the tool to do.

Back
Top Bottom