D5 or Teric - convince me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(It could propose an unwanted failure, different scenarios were discussed.) One was moving down a passageway in a wreck, and misjudging the height of the hatchway. (Potentially, damaging the transmitter, or First stage.
My reply was in regard to Shearwaters Customer Service.
I have to be more careful, how I post. People read "Only." what they want.
Technically, this was my fault. My apologies.
Cheers.

What does that have to do with the statement that buying a Perdix AI could introduce unwanted failures? Nothing. If you don't use AI, then buying the Perdix AI does not add the possibility of unwanted failures. At least, not any more than the likelihood of getting hit by a meteorite.

Your earlier post said that you bought a Perdix, instead a Perdix AI, because the Perdix AI adds the possibility of unwanted failures. No, it doesn't. Actually USING AI maybe does - and that is very debatable. But, having a Perdix AI vs non-AI - and everything else being equal - it does not.

Furthermore, anybody doing wreck penetration and mounting an AI transmitter pointed up or out is an idiot and likely to kill themselves as the result of any number of bad choices, not just transmitter placement.

I use AI on everything, including on my back mount doubles, when I have done wreck penetrations. The transmitter is mounted on the 1st stage so that it points down towards the tank. There is no concern whatsoever of misjudging the height of a hatchway and hitting the transmitter on anything.

Lastly, when I'm doing a wreck penetration on OC, I would much rather have a single AI transmitter sticking down from one first stage, so it is safely between the 1st stage and cylinder, and between the valve and the back of my neck, than have a HP hose with an SPG on it coming from somewhere behind my head and going down behind my shoulder to be clipped off on my waist. The chances of that catching on something and getting damaged (such that I start losing gas) or just having me caught on something are pretty darn small. But, that chance is VASTLY greater than the chance of my AI transmitter failing in a way that causes me to lose gas, or getting caught on anything (which is basically zero).

In reality, from what I can tell, spool failures in SPGs are not uncommon at all, and when one of those goes, you are now losing gas. AI transmitters don't even have a spool (assuming you screw it directly into the 1st stage).

Yes, of course, I realize that. My point is that one would think that a medium conservatism the Teric would roughly match the D4i. But that's not the case at all.

But my point is that you said that you sold the Teric because it was too conservative - yet you didn't try it on Low conservatism....

It's like saying "I sold that car because it wouldn't go far enough on a single tank of gas." And then, "also, I never filled it up past halfway."

Looking at these I see 10 minutes of gas time remaining and 17 minutes of NDL, I also know that the Teric will increase the NDL as you come up. If the real concern is extended NDL just dive the old tables but you’ll need more gas.

Or just set the Conservatism to Low...

But my point is that you said that you sold the Teric because it was too conservative - yet you didn't try it on Low conservatism....

It's like saying "I sold that car because it wouldn't go far enough on a single tank of gas." And then, "also, I never filled it up past halfway."

Fair enough, but I thought Low was too low/too aggressive. And I totally get that the beauty of the Teric--which I must say is an amazing piece of kit (as the Brits would say)--is that it is customizable to the n-th degree. But it's just not for me. Peace.

Fair enough, but I thought Low was too low/too aggressive. And I totally get that the beauty of the Teric--which I must say is an amazing piece of kit (as the Brits would say)--is that it is customizable to the n-th degree. But it's just not for me. Peace.

What did you base your decision on that a Teric on Low was too low/too aggressive? I'm asking seriously. Not trying to argue or say you were wrong. Trying to understand your decision process.

Sorry if this is out of context. Both GF low and GF high are custom configurable in both rec, no stop, and tech. I can't understand how either GF low or GF high could be too aggressive. Choose what you want and go.

Sorry if this is out of context. Both GF low and GF high are custom configurable in both rec, no stop, and tech. I can't understand how either GF low or GF high could be too aggressive. Choose what you want and go.

A point was made earlier about not wanting to do custom GFs. I think because of a lack of confidence that they really understand the numbers and trust themselves to make a good choice. I think that's a very reasonable point of view and I can understand someone who says they just want to stick to one of the presets.

What I can't understand would be if someone decided they did not feel comfortable using Low Conservatism simply because the name of it is "Low". And especially if the same person were also to be comfortable using a computer that gives a 24 minute NDL when the other computer, set on Medium Conservatism, is only giving a 17 minute NDL.

Which model?

Many people don’t realize the Perdix is not rated for as deep as a Petrel is.

Talked to him yesterday, it was a Predator and it happened right around 800'.
He's got 2 Petrels now so we'll see if they are going to hold up to the depths he's trying to achieve in the next year.

Talked to him yesterday, it was a Predator and it happened right around 800'.
He's got 2 Petrels now so we'll see if they are going to hold up to the depths he's trying to achieve in the next year.

Now you've got me curious. They haven't made the Predator in a while.

Can you ask him if he ever had his Predator serviced by Shearwater and, if so, how long before it was serviced before it died?

I think they recommend being serviced every 5 years. I'm curious if was overdue for service.

Interestingly (to me, anyway), I'm looking at a Predator manual and it says the crush depth is 185m (600'), and the pressure sensor is rated to 450'.

But, the Petrel 2 depth rating is 290m (950').

I guess that maybe represents the increase in expectation of depths that divers will go to in the time span between when the Predator was designed and when the Petrel 2 was. Over double!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom