Cypress Springs 2-13-05(Sunday)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to get a group together to canoe up to Cypress on Sunday(2/13). Anyone interested is more than welcome to come along, we'll meet at Vortex at 8AM to rent canoes and head to the boat launch.

Canoe rental is $50(not a bad price if you split the cost with a buddy - equivelant to a Vortex dive), just keep in mind you'll need to figure out how to get the canoe to the boat launch - they are pretty wide(which is good since we plan to dive off these beasts and the more stable the better).

Its around a mile of canoeing, taking 20-30min. We usually do 2 dives, around an hour long each. Visibility is nearly always gin-clear and you can reach 25-30' depths in the basin and ~50' in the easy reaches of the cavern. The cavern is supposed to go down to 70', but its a tight squeeze from 50' to get any lower. There are usually lots of fresh water fish as well as some saltwater fish that find there way to warmer water(68ºF) during the winter when the gulf is rather chilly.

Sally's will be calling our names afterwards :wink:

I wouldn't be opposed to a Morrison Spring dive that Saturday(2/12) depending on river levels.

SuPrBuGmAn, Where do you see the river levels for Morrison Springs? Not in favor of driving an hour each way to find out the vis isn't worth making the dive.

Anyone know if the state is going to turn the hot water back on for the showers???

Thanks & have fun,
-stacy

fun2chase:
SuPrBuGmAn, Where do you see the river levels for Morrison Springs? Not in favor of driving an hour each way to find out the vis isn't worth making the dive.

Anyone know if the state is going to turn the hot water back on for the showers???

Thanks & have fun,
-stacy
Here is the link to the NOAA site:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ahps.cgi?tae&carf1

They are running Morrison as cheaply as possible - no funds set aside for upgrades or repairs. I got that from the guy who opens the gate.

fun2chase:
Stacy brings up an interesting point - one that most people don't think about until one second after they step under the ICE COLD shower at the end of the dive.
Anyone with $15 or so can wander into a camping or boating store and buy a Solar Shower with enough capacity for even the heartiest of hot water hogs.
When I ran dive charters in Hawaii, I always had a 6-gallon solar shower tied on top of my hardtop, and after the dives, there was always PLENTY of hot water, even with 8 people using it.
Right now, I have an awesome diving machine in Florida, but somehow the fresh water shower system has a mysterious superchiller attached somewhere, because liquid icebergs come out of it after a dive.
So pop for your own Solar Shower and toss it in the back of your truck or whatever with the dive gear. It's a minor inconvenience to deal with UNTIL you stand under it after the dive.
Ah, one thing though - when you rinse off, do try not to stand on a fire ant nest up there. I've seen this happen up there, and while it has extreme comical value, it is not pretty to watch.

Like SeaYoda stated, I doubt there will be any hot water - I'm usually happy to find TP in the bathrooms :D

Vortex is close enough to be a backup, although you end up paying $25 to dive there...

SuPrBuGmAn:
...I wouldn't be opposed to a Morrison Spring dive that Saturday(2/12) depending on river levels.
I'm not able to do Sunday but Saturday I'm up for a dive somewhere. I'm watching the Destin Jetties, if they are bad a spring dive somewhere is a must. Morrison would be great if not flooded - I almost forget what it looks like.

Either day is good for me let me know. I'll be there. I think Jason finally got his new BC and he is itching to break it in so I think we can talk him into a dive as well.

Solar shower...what a good idea. I saw Waterdwg pouring hot water out of his thermos into his wet suit and was a little envious as my teeth chattered away on the SI...Solar shower would have been a welcome addition.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Looking to get a group together to canoe up to Cypress on Sunday(2/13). Anyone interested is more than welcome to come along, we'll meet at Vortex at 8AM to rent canoes and head to the boat launch.

I'll be heading home that day, but might stop by and go with y'all

darcy:
Either day is good for me let me know. I'll be there. I think Jason finally got his new BC and he is itching to break it in so I think we can talk him into a dive as well.

Doing Cypress for sure on Sunday(2/13), Josh L and another buddy(Patrick) work most Saturdays so they haven't had the chance to dive it yet - reasoning for the Sunday date. I believe Josh T will probably be coming as well.

I'd be open for a dive that Saturday, if anyone is willing to buddy up. Its gotta be free though :D Jeddies or Morrison(doubtfull).

paulwall:
I'll be heading home that day, but might stop by and go with y'all

Cypress is a most excellent dive! We're gonna meet at 8AM in the morn, we usually finish up around 3-4pm. It'll be 3.5-4 hours of driving from Ponce de Leon, FL to your area of LA - if you don't have any pressing plans for being back at home earlier than 8pm, I would definately consider the trip.

I got the time for the high tide at the Destin Jetties wrong for Saturday the 12th. Its at 1:57 PM. I'm still gonna give it a try. I gotta dive cheap - the credit card is still hurting from X-mas and I just bought that farmer john and some socks to keep warm in the springs. I plan on using the new clothes to keep warm at the Jetties too. I'm not sure what to expect but at least I can check my weights if viz is crummy. Any body in the area can join me - I don't plan on more than one tank, just enough to get me a little salty.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom