Current Visibility Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sares Head ... vis was around 20 feet. Lovely dive ... no current to speak of, and I finally saw a candy-striped shrimp ... actually I saw about 10 of 'em (thanks to TSandM for pointing out the first one). Pics didn't turn out so good ... for some reason my Oly was being a bit bleary-eyed yesterday ... but that's OK, I'm going back out on Sunday and now I know what to look for. Anyway, nice 73-minute dive with good friends (TSandM, OE2X, Uncle Pug, and Shane).

Second dive was the west side of Deception Island ... vis was 12-15 feet with moderate current. Not all that interesting a place, but we left some bubbles in the water for about 52 minutes, so it's all good ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Anybody care to report?

I had 20-30' at Cove 2 last night, Sunday, October 8th. I'd heard it was less in the afternoon perhaps due to classes. I'm not complaining, though!

Sea ya!

Edmonds Underwater Park was about 15-20 feet 10/8 at around noon.

Lake Crescent on the Olympic Peninsula was excellent today.

Even with overcast skies, visibility was well over 60', with a nice blue tint to the water.
At our max depth of 81', the temperature was a balmy 57F.

We made a close-up inspection of a school of rainbow trout, all 10" to 12", who apparently didn't recognize us as predators without fishing rods in our hands. Loads of crawdads, peeking out of every crack and crevice.

This was a shore dive from the East Beach, nicely equipped with picnic tables, restroom, and ample parking.

Thanks Sasquatch, for the info and advice.

Steve

Dove Smitty's Cove in Whittier Alaska yesterday for 3 dives. Water was 50F, weather was windy, but sunny all day-very unusual for Whittier. large moon jellies everyehwere. I felt like I was in Palau's Jellyfish Lake again. Viz was 50-60ft until approximately 70ft of depth where it got back down to the usual 5-10 ft viz. Saw a medium sized wolf eel, huge sea lion, a school of silver salmon, tiny Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker, many varieties of crabs, dorids, Sea Pens, Sea Whips and a hiding octopus.

Dove The Mukilteo today and experienced some clearing below 20' to about 20' viz. Better than I thought, actually.

Sea ya!

I dove Cove 2 last night about six, and again today at one, and what a difference! Last night, the viz was decent -- Lots of stringy stuff in the water, but the water between the strings was fairly clear.

Today was a totally different story. The first 15 feet or so were almost completely opaque. Below that, it cleared to about 15 feet, still with a lot of the stringy stuff as well, but more than that, EVERYTHING was covered with silt. Amazing how things can change in about 18 hours!

Dove Cove 2 Saturday and Sunday, and viz was pretty poor, at least in the shallows (above 40 feet) where we were for our class.

But Edmonds today was worse! Six or eight feet at best, I think, and very easy to lose buddy unless we were kicking one another. We still had a pleasant hour's dive, and having ling cod swim into view where you don't realize they're there until they're in your face is a fun, spooky experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom