Current Visibility Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sasquatch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a search here in Orca Bait and couldn't find what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is good viz reports to lure me to an area or bad viz reports that I may shy away from.

I'll usually dive any viz because for me it's the diving, not the seeing unless in an area where I specifically want to be able to see beyond fifteen feet at a given depth.

So, my suggestion is that this thread be used as a repository for viz reports should one be inclined to express their delight or disappointment with "the seeing".

Sea ya!

Hate to say this but...

A quick 20 second call to any LDS on the Sound will give you better, up to date info...

Darin

Hey, Darin, that's all true as long as you call during the hours they're open and you have a list of all the phone numbers on you and you call when they aren't busy.

Maybe I'm in a minority but I email my buddies, check NOAA for tides, check my currents and look hard within the threads at Scuba Board for hints, tips and stuff to avoid. I always do these things in the evening and online. It's just easier for me than calling during the day.

Also, if I saw a great viz report from an Orca Chum say from Hoodsport or BC I might not have thought to call that area...

Sea ya!

Well, vis was pretty darn good at Cove 2 tonight ... 20-25 feet ... until the seals came by ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Darin:
Hate to say this but...

A quick 20 second call to any LDS on the Sound will give you better, up to date info...

Darin

I don’t know how true that is. I frequent several shops, and unless the person answering the phone (or at least someone within shouting range of that person), has been diving recently at the spot you are interested in, or has at least heard about a particular spot, they wouldn’t likely know anything. It is not likely they keep an updated visibility list on the wall.

It is possible that if a dive shop is located near the site you wish to dive they may know those conditions. Particularly in tourist areas which do heavy diving volume, but that does not describe the PNW. (Things may be different in Yakima :wink: ). What if you want to just surf the reports and see where the best vis. is in the Puget Sound area? You shouldn’t need to call every shop within 50 miles and see how the vis is at their locations. The PNW has almost unlimited sites which have few or no shops in the area, and my guess is that you’ll find it difficult to get vis reports for most with even a few phone calls.

I think a thread that posts recent trip reports with conditions is an excellent idea, assuming it received frequent updates and attention.

It’s just my opinion though. :wink:

Actually, there are a couple of stickies on the Northwest Diver BB regarding viz in the most popular sites.

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, vis was pretty darn good at Cove 2 tonight ... 20-25 feet ... until the seals came by ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Atta boy Bob. We can always count on you. :D

PS. I live in West Seattle and dive Cove 2 regularly. Hope I'll run into you there some time. (Not literally of course). :wink:

TSandM:
Actually, there are a couple of stickies on the Northwest Diver BB regarding viz in the most popular sites.

Do you have a link?

THIS is the sticky thread on Cove 2. There are also reports in that subforum on other sites like Edmonds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom