Current Suunto algorithum.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings all, I've been a reader here for many years and have always received some great info from other members. Its been awhile since I've asked anything but I want to get some feedback. I bought a Suunto Mosquito some years back, took it to Cozumel on a trip, found it WAY to conservative in the allowable dive time as compared to other computers used in the dive group. I sold it after that trip and went back to Oceanic, which I have always liked.

Question, I'm looking for a large display (older eyes) wrist mount computer and like the size of the Suunto Zoop. Has the Suunto algorithum changed ( since my last experience) any as compared to the one Oceanic uses? Or can you "relax" the degree of conservatism with a software setting?

Thank you for your time.

Good Dives, SeaFlea.

It has changed from the old Suunto algorithm and it's a different model entirely than the Oceanic. The newer algorithm from Suunto is a proprietary RGBM algorithm that Suunto developed with Bruce Wienke. Having his name attached to it must have been seen by Suunto as a selling point but for technical divers, the name Wienke means "run away". Wienke RGBM gives credit (or no penalty) on the last stop for doing deep stops but the actual science suggests that deep stops should result in longer shallow stops, not shorter ones.

For recreational diving none of that matters in the least. The algorithm in the Zoop will calculate (semi) optional deep stops that more recent research has proven does nothing of value except perhaps encouraging the diver to slow their overall ascent speed if they happened to be ascending too quickly. If you don't follow the deep stops it will probably shorten your NDL and/or shorten the NDL on subsequent dives and/or extend no-fly times and surface intervals. I'm not sure about that last thing, however, because the algorithm is proprietary, as I said. It would seem logical that it would work like this, however. Maybe someone who has one can confirm this?

R..

Diver0001, Thanks for your reply. I have read abit concerning the Deep Stop entry in their algorithum. I think the algorithum ScubaPro uses focuses on the micro-bubble theory as well.

I guess I'm asking if the Suunto algor. is still more conservative than the Oceanic one I'm used to. Bear in mind, I'm just a recreational diver and my preferred dive profile is NOT deep with multi-depth changes. The most agressive profile I may still do would be Cozumels Palancar Caves dive. These days its two dives max per day with minimal depth transitions. Do you think with that type of diving I would see any difference at all between the Suunto and an Oceanic?

Thanks, SeaFlea.

If you like the Oceanic algorithm you may want to consider the Oceanic Veo. My personal opinion, I steer clear of ScubaPro products. That's just a personal opinion with no particular incidents to validate it. Years of evaluating dive gear, they always just came up short, IMO.

I think you'll see only minor differences provided you apply the best practices you learned and do your deep stops when the computer suggests them.

On shallow dives the NDL's are generally not the limiting factor and on deep dives, a couple of minutes extra ascending won't ruin your day. :wink: As for the conservatism, an older Oceanic will allow for faster ascents without complaining about it. Newer computers (almost all of them) will, more often than not, "make you pay" for not sticking to best practices.

R..

I don't believe the Zoop incorporates the Suunto RGBM/Deep Stop Algorithm which on other Suunto models is typically halfway between the max depth and the ceiling depth. The Zoop does include the Suunto RGBM algorithm feature that will impose a "mandatory" safety stop. This is usually triggered by fast ascents > 12m momentarily or > 10m continuously. While there is no penalty for skipping a regular safety stop, skipping the "mandatory" safety stop will penalize your next dive. For many this "mandatory" stop clears while they are performing the traditional safety stop and may add an extra minute at 5m.

Suunto's algorithm is mystifying. And that's being polite. To add further confusion to the mix, they have 3 versions of RGBM - Standard, Tec and Fusion (only in their high priced DC). So is the Zoop (standard RGBM) diver at a higher risk of DCS than than an Eon (Fusion RGBM) diver if both computer follows a long deco dive? You can't really tells since RGBM is a proprietary algorithm . :(

As owner of Suunto Vyper, Helo2 (2), Aeris Atmos pro, Sherwood Amphos, and some othe computers, I can say that regardless of which Suunto you consider, they are all extremely more conservative than the Aeris or Sherwood.
At the end of two dives to 65 ft for 55 minutes bottom time (about 60 total run time) on 36% EAN with 30 minutes surface interval, the Suunto is on the verge of or into deco status, while the Aeris and Sherwood have about 30 min of NDL left

..... I sold it after that trip and went back to Oceanic, which I have always liked.
Question, I'm looking for a large display (older eyes) wrist mount computer and like the size of the Suunto Zoop. Has the Suunto algorithum changed ( since my last experience) any as compared to the one Oceanic uses? Or can you "relax" the degree of conservatism with a software setting?
Stick with the algorithum that you are familiar with.
I have no problem reading the display on Oceanic Veo 180 with my ageing eyes!!

I have a Zoop and a Helo2. My buddy has a Vyper. I also have a Petrel.

Last year in Cozumel we were never limited by deco. We might have hit one minute of real stops once in 14 dives. We were mostly limited by the boat schedule, and sometimes by gas. We were using 30ish %. all the dives were 50 minutes or more.

Open circuit I dive the helo2 with the Zoop as backup. The Zoop does not do deep stops, the helo2 does. If you ignore the deep stops you end up with a 4 minute safety stop. You can ignore that too if you choose. On the same settings the helo2 and the Zoop track exactly. I often dive with buddies with Suunto computers, almost always our stops are the same within a minute.

The helo2 and above offer more aggressive settings than the Zoop, vyper etc. These are still conservative compared to some other brands.

Back
Top Bottom