Current Suunto algorithum.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for their replies. I believe I will stick with the Oceanic / Aeris algorithm type. I'm very familiar with their nitrogen management style and since my backup will be an older Oceanic Prodigy (can you believe I still have it?) it would be more in sync with my primary computer.

Once again thanks for your time and advice.

Good Dives, SeaFlea.

This page will show you pictures of a wide variety of wrist mounted computers, including the Zoop. You can compare so you get an idea of what your aging eyes can read, and then pick the one that looks the way you want it to look while providing the algorithm you want to use.

And, yes, the Suunto algorithm is more conservative than most others. Some people like that. Some don't.

The simplistic way to understand Suunto's RGBM is that it unilaterally increases conservatism (shortens NDLs) when given parameters are breached. These parameters include; ascent rates, minimum surface intervals, repetitive and multi-day diving schedules.

If you don't breach those parameters, then the base algorithm isn't far off what other Buhlman-based computers supply in respect to NDL bottom time. Sadly, Suunto don't release specifics on their proprietary tweeks to RGBM... so the exact parameters aren't known publicly.... thus, cannot be avoided unless you keep your diving very conservative.

Personally, I don't think conservatism is a bad thing. I do understand that many divers don't have frequent access to the water and, consequently, want to maximize bottom times and repetitive dives when they can. That said, pushing for the most aggressive computer/algorithm is a solution for doing what they want, but ignores their safety, health and well-being.

More is becoming known about decompression sickness and stress. Not getting 'chamber bent' pre-occupies most divers, and is the basis for most algorithms. Current and, predictably, future research is pointing towards more concern over decompression stress (not just illness), where there may be long-term health impacts caused by non-symptomatic DCS.

For background on this, read: Subclinical DCS, Decompression Stress and Post-Dive Fatigue

It may be that the conservatism inherent with Suunto's RGBM might be appropriate given those factors.... and is something to think about.

I think that conservatism is good. If you want longer bottom times, then achieve it through a more intelligent strategy than shopping around for the most kamikaze algorithm imaginable. Use nitrox bottom gasses, learn to use ascent gases, prepare to do cleaner ascents and longer, more refined, stops. Get decompression training and utilize it for healthier recreational diving, rather than 'pushing the limits' of depth and time.

I often do 'technical' dives where the majority would be content to do 'aggressive recreational' dives. Our bottom time is the same; but I treat the ascent and stops as staged decompression. Inevitably, I'm the one with post-dive vitality and energy, whereas the 'aggressive recreational' divers are near-catatonic afterwards. Not only does that mean I enjoy the boat trip home and the evening afterwards (no long naps on the couch....), but in respect to my long-term health, I might be very thankful for it.

I often do 'technical' dives where the majority would be content to do 'aggressive recreational' dives. Our bottom time is the same; but I treat the ascent and stops as staged decompression. Inevitably, I'm the one with post-dive vitality and energy, whereas the 'aggressive recreational' divers are near-catatonic afterwards. Not only does that mean I enjoy the boat trip home and the evening afterwards (no long naps on the couch....), but in respect to my long-term health, I might be very thankful for it.

I've also noticed this. The NDL's don't seem nearly as important as making a "tight" ascent. Since learning more about "technical" ascents and applying those principles to every dive I've felt better. Even when we're doing 30-odd minutes of deco during the ascent I feel better than I used to "back in the day" when we made snorkel-wobbling ascents and "optional" safety stops.

[sidebar]

One way to make a nice clean ascent on a recreational dive, for those who aren't sure, is the following:

Take your deepest depth (say 30m) and divide that by 2. (=15m in this example).

Ascend from 30m to 15m and make a short stop at 15m so that your clock flips to the next minute. This is just to synchronize your clock to your depth. You can add an extra minute here but it doesn't do anything of value in a recreational context. If you add an extra minute here, you should also add an extra minute at 6m when you get to that stop.

when your clock flips to the next minute, go to 12m (steps are 3 metres) and wait at 12m until the clock goes to the next minute. If it did so before you got to 12m then just "roll through" the 12m stop and carry on to 9m.

At 9m wait again. Put in 2 minutes here instead of 1

at 6m wait again. Put in 4 minutes here instead of the usual 3. Your safety stop will clear 1 minute before you're really done.

From 6m to the surface the idea is to go "dead slow". Take a couple of minutes to ascend from 6m to the surface, using the clock and waiting at 3m until your clock catches up, as in the deeper part of the ascent.

That will render a good ascent at no more than 10m per minute (that's the reason for waiting for your clock to catch up with your depth at 12m and 9m) and slows the ascent to very slow from 9m to the surface, where most of the offgassing from such a dive will occur.

One more thing to note is that at 6m the MINIMUM amount of time you should spend is 3min but there is no maximum. That last stop can be extended indefinitely without doing you any harm. View 3 minutes as teh absolute minimum but spend more time at this stop if it is practical and interesting enough to do so.

R..

This page will show you pictures of a wide variety of wrist mounted computers, including the Zoop.

Realistically, the only one that shows the size is the ProPlus3 because there is a hand holding it. About a third of the people here mention our "aging eyes" and about one in a 100 product descriptions out there provides physical measurements or some sort of scale on the pix. So thank you for trying but Zoop and Geo2 -- see for yourself -- are exactly the same size according to that page.

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2016 at 02:06 PM ----------

One more thing to note is that at 6m the MINIMUM amount of time you should spend is 3min but there is no maximum. That last stop can be extended indefinitely without doing you any harm. View 3 minutes as teh absolute minimum but spend more time at this stop if it is practical and interesting enough to do so.

See "why safety stops" in this write-up: Ascending from a scuba dive, | deep stops, |ascent rates, |safety stops, | time limits, | and gas needed -- this also hints to why suunto's algorithm should like long SSs. My Leonardo definitely likes them; it will also remove the 3m/3min SS sign if you spend a couple of minutes at ~5m or above.

Back
Top Bottom