Current Review of LDS Near Waikola for Sept.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lesismore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have spent many hours reading reviews along with looking at LDS websites. There are many comments about many dive shops, but I had not seen recent reviews of Blue Wilderness or Kohala Divers which will be more convenient since I will be staying at the Hilton Waikola (I was able to use points :D ) Are there others in this area?

I will only have 2 days to dive, monday and tuesday, so thought I would first do a morning 2 tank, then on day 2, the 2 tank afternoon and manta. However, if possible would also like to fit in the black water / paleagic dive. Given my schedule limits, I may need to choose the shop based on their actual dive schedule.

I believe it would be an hour drive to some of the other LDS in Kona, such as Jack's, Wanna Dive, Big Island and Kona Honu which might be doable for the afternoon/ evening, but not the first day since I will be getting in late on Sunday night.

All advice and suggestions welcome.

Here are two recent reviews of Kohala Divers:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/293004-hawaii-kohala-report.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/332176-anyone-used-kohala-divers-staying-up-area.html

I don't work for Kohala Divers but they are my LDS.

The main difference between the two dive ops is the size of their boats.

Blue Wilderness has a smallish boat that only holds 6 people. Things get a little cramped. There is no bathroom on board or good shade. Typically you meet them at one of the two boat ramps in the area and get on the boat half suited up. On the flip side Capt. Mark is a super nice guy. If you prefer a smaller dive op with a go-fast boat these folks might be for you. The nice thing about Blue Wilderness is that they're right in Waikoloa for convenience sake.

Only 10 minutes north... Kohala Divers has a bigger boat that is a more stable platform that isn't on a trailer. They have a more full service operation. They're rarely full but even if the boat is packed I think you'll find a quality level of service. Both shops cater to us shore divers but since Kohala divers employs a couple avid shore divers... they'll be able to give you the scoop. Be sure to give Tina, who works in the shop itself most days, a really really hard time for me.

There is no manta or blackwater dive up here in the Kohala Coast. You'll have to cruise down to Kona for that. Most shops require that you check in around 3-4PM.

If you are the type of person who prefers a smaller service oriented dive op give Steve at Wanna Dive a call. MantaMan Keller Laros at Jack's Diving Locker works Monday... and he's a hoot to dive with. Plus no one knows more about local mantas than that goofball. Kona Honu is also another reasonable choice for a larger dive op. I've also never been on the Bottom Time boat but I know them to be super nice people.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

-Eric

I have spent many hours reading reviews along with looking at LDS websites. There are many comments about many dive shops, but I had not seen recent reviews of Blue Wilderness or Kohala Divers which will be more convenient since I will be staying at the Hilton Waikola (I was able to use points :D ) Are there others in this area?

I will only have 2 days to dive, monday and tuesday, so thought I would first do a morning 2 tank, then on day 2, the 2 tank afternoon and manta. However, if possible would also like to fit in the black water / paleagic dive. Given my schedule limits, I may need to choose the shop based on their actual dive schedule.

I believe it would be an hour drive to some of the other LDS in Kona, such as Jack's, Wanna Dive, Big Island and Kona Honu which might be doable for the afternoon/ evening, but not the first day since I will be getting in late on Sunday night.

Last edited:
Remember it's a 6 hour time difference from FL so morning there isn't going to seem so early, and hopefully you'll have slept some on the plane. We're usually joining all the other east coast folks out taking a walk at first light, waiting for anything to open.

Yes 5 hr time difference should definately help - I tend to forget about time zones since I travel so frequently and work in so many. Good thing I can sleep any where and any time.

You're probably looking at 35-45 minutes to the Kailua area shops from the Hilton depending on traffic. I had customers in March that were making it to Honokohau Harbor in 60 minutes (or so they claimed) from Hawi. A couple of years back before the highway into Kailua was widened it could take forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom