Current conditions - is it really as bad as it looks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadbilly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been watching the swell models this week with dismay. Judging from the Santa Cruz beach, the bay has looked particularly unfriendly the last few days. I haven't made it down to Monterey though, has anyone gotten a look? Is it actually that bad?

It's just frustrating because I had this whole week off but the weather has kept me at home.

They are ONLY reporting 19 foot swells so far around Monterey today. What are you waiting for, get out there and dive Monastery Beach.

Outside SF they are reporting 22 foot swells. Way off the coast they are recording 33 foot swells. Throw some wind on top (Recorded 40 kt gusts) and you could film a Deadliest Catch episode.

I'll drive down to BW to check out conditions then post back here a little bit later.

Kathy please bring us hope :)

I am interested in the same. Planning on hitting breakwater on Sunday. Any thoughts/predictions?

I just got to the dive shack. I've never seen the waves as big
as they were behind the sand plant. You know they are big if
you can see the spray from the breakers. They are really big if
you could see a bit of the wave itself. I had no problem seeing
two waves at the same time. Marina State Beach was just as bad.

And they were poorly formed, so no surfing either.

MAYBE Sunday.

And they were poorly formed, so no surfing either.
You trying to kill my surfboard sale :confused: Mavericks is probably GOIN' OFF! Even a beginner could tangle with a slammin' wave there this weekend.

For those not in the know, here is a list of the perfect dive sites...errr I mean surf sites! You will notice many of them like Lovers Cove list both activities just not necessarily on the same day :eyebrow:

map_monterey.gif

FWIW Saturday should probably be a great surfing day :cool2:

Kathy please bring us hope :)

Yah! Welcome back! I wouldn't mind heading out this weekend.

Thanks Ken :) -look forward to diving with you soon!

Sorry, I don't have great news :(.

Rumor has it that Lobos was out today, waves were too big - but I didn't look.

Some people dove BW this morning and reported surge and 20ft vis. But the vis greatly decreased by the afternoon.

I was at BW during low tide. Vis looked bad. The conditions looked somewhat divable if you are desperate to get wet, but it was pretty rough. Exit/entry could be a bit tricky.

Wouldn't suggest it for beginners and I doubt those who are experienced with larger surf entry will enjoy the low vis & surge combo very much.

Having just returned from 200-300ft vis and warm still water - I wasn't inspired :) -- but you can always drive down and take a look for yourself. Tomorrow might be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom