Curious: Are you LDS loyal? What do you use them for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have three here on Catalina although I only use two of them (I'd use the third but it just isn't convenient). I mostly use them for air fills and equipment service. All my gear except the wetsuits is ancient so I have to buy gear at my favorite on-line SCUBA shop, E-Bay. No one carries the gear I like because it hasn't been made in a decade or more.

I tend to use my LDS for most things. Their prices are inline with the interwebs, and they will price match anything that's not. Their prices for a fill of 32% on a set of twin 12s is cheaper than most places.

I am pretty loyal to my LDS, Scuba World Tustin. They beat the price of online stores for both my big (for me) buys in the last yr. Steel HP 100 and new wet suit. Actually drove to scuba.com to buy wetsuit before checking LDS price but their computers were down. LDS price was 10 % less then she called Aqualung to see if they had marked down last yr models yet. Had not bit told her she could disregard MSRP so she took off another 15%. :)

I strongly disagree with the "buy expensive because it's life support" but that's not really what the OP asked.

I have no real loyalty to any shop though I do give pretty much all my business to one particular local shop, primarily out of convenience but also because they were the most supportive to me initially of the shops I have looked into in my area.

I primarily use them for fills and tank inspections, though I'm probably going to start doing my own tank inspections soon.

I buy little things from shops all over the place when I travel. I buy most of my "big" gear used, though, so I don't even look at regs or BCs in a shop. I occasionally eyeball a mask or pair of fins but generally don't bother because I buy those online. Again, wetsuits I buy online, except a couple which I've bought in shops due to immediate need or a need to try them on and not using a shop as a changing room.

I buy stuff from several LDS, one is two hours drive from where I live on the opposite side of the country. Certain things I want to try on first and will never buy online.

When I do buy online it is usually something I can wait for and don't require urgently and usually have it shipped to my UK address and picket up next time I am there, or my company HQ in Spain, otherwise I frequently end up paying high shipping cost to UAE plus import duty making an online purchase perhaps only slightly cheaper.

However the only purchase I made online that was a complete disaster was a pair of generic spring straps that had a weird fitting and did not clip properly to my fins, ended up buying another set locally at double the price but ended up cheaper due to the shipping cost.

My LDS does match internet price + shipping for most items, so I buy everything there that I do not buy second hand.

Be it a boat or a shop. If you are a regular nice customer and they are a quality operation, there are times when they will do you a favor on short notice or give you some other type of assistance.

Online takes a room some where. Actual shop requires space and usually in a mall or some place similar with some curb traffic. It takes tens of thousands of dollars a year more to have a physical shop than an online presence.

All the LDS I know also have an online presence.

There five shops in my area two are too long to drive to and one trashes a brand they don't sell. I happen to like and use both the brand they trash and the one they sell, so I have no use for them. I'm pretty loyal to the two remaining shops. One I use for air and servicing (he is mentoring me on servicing my regs, tanks and valves), also he is a good source for vintage equipment and will barter. The other shop is where I do my (technical & pro) training, sponsors the reef research team I'm on as well as the local dive club and has cool trips planned, I will usually buy technical related stuff from them. The two shops don't see eye to eye and sometimes I feel like a kid with divorced parents, but I like them both for different reasons and that will not likely change. I will buy online if I get a really good deal that they couldn't match or it is no longer made (vintage).

I'm loyal to my LDS (Air Hogs SCUBA) and they take good care of me.

I like the the fact that if I buy a reg, dive it and want it adjusted, I just take it in and we put it on the bench to adjust it. I would not expect them to do that for free if I bought it on line.

If I want something they don't carry and they see a value in carrying it, they will become a dealer or at least try.

Back
Top Bottom