Curacao: What has better diving: Westpunt vs Willemstad sides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One place you might consider is Enjoy your Stay @ Coral Estate Luxury Resort Curaçao

It was formerly the Habitat dive resort, which was an awesome place in it's day where we stayed a bunch of times. And a nice compromise location between the far west end boonies and the city. Got run down and sold, tons of work was done on the place and it looks very nice now. Don't know details of the on-site op Coral Divers, or what the diving is like there now, but I think they have a good rep.

Habitat was more marketed to the US, the new place more to the Dutch market, so you tend not to see much about it here anymore. But might check your boxes.
We've checked Habitat's house reef back when they were non-operational and found that their house reef is very humble. Unless something had changed radically, it's not worth staying there. Considering that Curacao is getting overpopulated and overran by mass tourism, it's probably even worse now.

We've checked Habitat's house reef back when they were non-operational and found that their house reef is very humble. Unless something had changed radically, it's not worth staying there. Considering that Curacao is getting overpopulated and overran by mass tourism, it's probably even worse now.
If relying on the house shore diving maybe it's not worth staying there anymore. If doing mostly boat diving and someone would be happy with a couple ok house dives maybe at night, might work for someone where amenities are a match. Umbrella drinks on the beach, spa, etc.

Which way did you go when you dove there? I remember towards the end of Habitat the house reef was much better one direction than the other. (Of course I don't recall which direction.)

Another western place I might have suggested in the past was Lodge Kura Hulanda, but it struggled for awhile, tried to reinvent itself as an AI, and appears it's closed for good now. Too bad. Go West diving next door is well regarded, as are All West apartments nearby. The house reef at Go West (Alice in Wonderland/Playa Kalki) was a very good shore dive, anyone been lately? I think All West has a slip of a beach at the bottom of the cliff, it's just alot of stairs down and you'll need to supply the drinks. And there is a dive room that Go West stocks with tanks for shore diving. You go to their shop to catch a boat.

There are a number of apartment type rentals out that way, but not all on the water. Marazul is another place that people seem to like - another on the water but up on a cliff spot.

We dove it three times in Jan 2020, once left, once right, and once at night. I think to right might have been better but still only ok, went left on the night dive, because a group from the dive shop went right. It was better at night, saw two really big lion fish but had no spears or keeper.

Another western place I might have suggested in the past was Lodge Kura Hulanda, but it struggled for awhile, tried to reinvent itself as an AI, and appears it's closed for good now. Too bad. Go West diving next door is well regarded, as are All West apartments nearby. The house reef at Go West (Alice in Wonderland/Playa Kalki) was a very good shore dive, anyone been lately? I think All West has a slip of a beach at the bottom of the cliff, it's just alot of stairs down and you'll need to supply the drinks. And there is a dive room that Go West stocks with tanks for shore diving. You go to their shop to catch a boat.

There are a number of apartment type rentals out that way, but not all on the water. Marazul is another place that people seem to like - another on the water but up on a cliff spot.
Sad to hear about Lodge Kura Hulanda. My wife and I stayed there in 2010, it was a beautiful place. We dived with Ocean Encounters West, later became Go West, a very good operation. Alice in Wonderland/Playa Kalki is a very good house reef, nearly in the same league as Bari Reef in Bonaire. Many people have given All West Apartments good reviews, search this forum

At Habitat, we went right, if memory serves. I always liked All West but the last time we stayed there Andreas went paranoid and verbotened solo diving. This was a blow for me since I enjoy night diving and my wife does not. So, the next time we go to Curacao we'll have to find some other place. Or we'll simply go elsewhere.

I have stayed at both All West and Marazul units on the west end. I have not stayed on any other part of the island. Westpunt is not everybody's cup of tea. No shopping or night life. There are some good restaurants, but not many. After diving, I am content hanging out by the pool or on the patio with a good book, having a drink while watching the sunset then out to dinner, back to my book. During midweek, we head to one of the larger supermarkets in the afternoon to stock up on the essentials. The 20's and 30's version of myself would be screaming at the current state of my travel priorities:wink:

On one visit we stayed at the Kura Hulanda Lodge. It was nice, but really started tumbling downhill shortly thereafter. One poster on this board returned to the hotel only to be informed that they had to pack their bags as everyone was getting evicted. They opened up since then, but I am too OCD to re-book at that property. The Coral Estates look nice. I considered booking there this Feb, but quite honestly, the diving in front of the Marazul and All West are my favorites.

We did not do any boat dives, but they did seem to have a regular schedule with many divers from the resort, as well as scheduled night dives on the house reef.
Thanks! Great information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom