Curacao VS Coz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if anyone has heard of Curacao Caribbean Resort? It is available on RCI timeshare and I was thinking about going. We have been all over the Mayan Riviera, Cozumel and the west coast of Mexico, I want to try something different.
My hubby doesn't dive but he likes to snorkel. I like to dive in the AM and then get back to spend time with my hubby. Any input on Curacao compared to Coz, and/or if a non-diver would have enough stuff to keep them occupied (he loved Coz).

What used to be the Curacao Caribbean Resort (first time I was there in like the early 90s) is now the Hilton. But I take it there may be some part of the property that still uses that name, and is timeshare. It's a decent location in a cluster of a few other hotels, not in town but not too far. I haven't been to Coz so can't compare, but I am a fan of Curacao. Doing a couple dives in the morning then whatever in the afternoon is an easy routine to do there. Don't know what snorkeling is like at the Hilton, I'd guess it's pretty good, but there's snorkeling around the island at all sorts of cool little beaches you could explore in the afternoons. There's a decent amount of things to do, depends what you are looking for? Renting a car would be best if you want to do some things around the island, and to drive downtown instead of taking taxis all the time. (There may be some kind of resort transportation downtown but then you're stuck with their schedule.

We stayed at Capt. Don's Curacao 4 yrs. ago. The diving is much like Bonaire, very little current as compared to CZM. Non-divers should rent a car as Williamstad is a very nice palce to see.

You cannot go wrong at either destination. I love the diving at both but they are completely different from each other. As you know in Coz the diving is drift diving. Most of the time it is tolerable, however when I was there in Oct. the current was wicked. We traveled several miles north with currents so strong that when I turned my head my mask was actually pulling off my face. It was not relaxing and I could not stop to examine the coral or take many pictures. The coral is nowhere as healthy as Curacao. Many of it is still sand covered from Wilma. Although it seems to be improving with each visit. In Cozumel it is like the marine life is on steroids. Everything is bigger. It is not unusual to see nurse and reef sharks and large grouper. The topography of Coz is not very interesting but the restaurants are wonderful and in abundance. If you can get past the PITA time share salesman, the people of Coz are warm, friendly and helpful.

In Curacao the diving is easy. You do not need to go very deep to find amazing coral and marine life. While the marine life is nowhere as rich and mature as Coz, it is in better supply than I anticipated. You will find the fish generally smaller with lots of juveniles. There are many eels. On one dive alone I saw 7 eels. The big advantage for me is the shore diving. I dive on my own schedule and because of my tendency towards seasickness, the shore diving is a huge bonus. The dives are relaxing. You can take your time swimming around a coral head as the current is minimal to non existent. You do not have the swim throughs which Coz offers. The topography of Curacao is more interesting with more topside options. I never was pestered by time share sharks. I never encountered any theft but it does tend to make me feel more cautious and guarded in Curacao.

Thanks for the input. Curacao sounds awesome. We like to snorkel, kayak, hike, bike, walk around and meet people and EAT. I was considering trying to do a week on Curacao and maybe a week on Aruba or Bonaire. The recent spate of crime on Bonaire has me wondering, but I really want to dive there.

And the shore diving sounds excellent, I did some shore diving in Coz and had a great time. Is it pretty easy to find someone to shore dive with? I just walked up to some people on Coz and dove with them from the hotel dock.

Oh, forgot to ask. How expensive is Curacao? On Coz we were spending about $60 to $80 USD a night on drinks and food. Is that comparable to Curacao?

I think it will be pretty easy for you to find people to shore dive with. My husband and I have been approached often and it is always fun to meet people from all over the world. I think food in Curacao is a more expensive than in Coz. but not by much. Still very reasonable.

There's a pretty wide range of restaurants in Curacao, there are fancier places that are pretty pricey, and much less expensive places around.

Chocoholic,
I don't want to go down this rat hole but if this is your take away...
"The recent spate of crime on Bonaire has me wondering, but I really want to dive there."
I believe distortion has won. Don't let the BS of crime on Bonaire stop you , just inform you. Crime is not isolated to Bonaire.. okay gotta duck...
enjoy Curacao, I hope to as well!!

Yeah, i know unfortunately, we have gang issues and burgleries here in Alaska too.
I think we will stick with Curacao since my hubby is a non-diver and may be bored with Bonaire.
I'm kind of waffling between Grand Cayman, and Curacao. I think my hubby might be happier in Curacao because he likes to gamble, golf, and eat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom