Culling the List?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codyjp

Contributor
Reaction score
I just dropped into a manufactures forum and found that the last post by anybody who had affiliation with the company hadn't posted since Sept 8 2008.

Am I wrong in thinking that this was a place for customers to interact with the manufactures? If not, what exactly is the point of these forums? Some are hosted by very helpful people and others are ghost towns.

Please PM me specific details.

Thanks.

maybe there should be some kind of condition to having these since they're free - such as questions get replies within a certain amount of time and the forum gets closed if it's not actually used by the company. Would make a point.

A mod got back to me. Apparently there isn't any intent to control or cull the list. The problem then is that some of the manufacturers are actively helping members while others haven't logged in in ages. This to me nullifies the use of these forums. If I'm uncertain wither or not I'll get a prompt reply from a manufacturer then why bother even asking a question? And where is the motivation for the manufacturers who spend time managing these forums and answering questions when over all some others are diluting it?

I told you Cody. That I would contact the manufacturer.

That was a private message. If I wanted to share my response... I would have posted it in the forum.

Overwhelmingly - the manufacturers are very enthusiastic about these forums. It is hugely successful. If one or two manufacturers have a lapse, then they may just need a simple prod in the right direction.

I have no intention of culling the list, as most of the forums are active and have a response from the manufacturer in as timely a fashion as is available.

They ALL have e-mail addresses where they get e-mails from the forum to notify them of new posts... Perhaps the lapse is a technical error, or even as simple as the person who was the respondent - no longer works at the company, and nobody realized that the forum needed attending to. Some companies are big, and others are very small.

Either way... before a "Culling" of the list. I'd like to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt.

---

Damselfish... I'd like to respond to your lame comment. But I won't.

A mod got back to me. Apparently there isn't any intent to control or cull the list. The problem then is that some of the manufacturers are actively helping members while others haven't logged in in ages. This to me nullifies the use of these forums. If I'm uncertain wither or not I'll get a prompt reply from a manufacturer then why bother even asking a question? And where is the motivation for the manufacturers who spend time managing these forums and answering questions when over all some others are diluting it?

If something is amiss you should point out specifics to the moderators. Maybe the employee responsible for monitoring the forum left the company or was fired. Whoever took over his responsibilities might not be aware they need to monitor these forums.

I can see myself creating that situation. As an employee, I'd subscribe to the forum. When someone posts something I'd get an email. No one posts anything for months. I forget about the forum because I have many other duties. One day I quit my job. For the next two weeks someone job shadows me to learn how to do my job. I still see no messages from the forum. On my last day my email address is cancelled. Now when someone posts to the forum the notification goes to a dead email address. My replacement is totally unaware.

If you tell the moderators here the forum is not getting any responses, they contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer realizes no one took over this duty when I left the company. They train my replacement on how to handle it. People start getting replies. Win-win situation.

You should always talk to people first. Scuba Board is huge. I've met one diver who is not on here. It is rare that someone just doesn't care. It is more likely the manufacturer is unaware there are messages waiting here for them. Culling the list is usually the last option.

Back
Top Bottom