Cuff versus Shoulder Auto Dump - Your opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have only used cuff dumps myself but my buddy has recently had an additional cuff dump fitted so that he does not have to rely on the auto dump because of several problems which he had in not being able to get the air out and therefore racing to the surface in an uncntrolled ascent.

I've used both. My current drysuit has a shoulder dump. It can be used on lock or manual mode. On manual, it will dump by itself, or if I press the button. On lock it will not dump unless I press the button. The location of the valve really hasn't bothered me. I do, however, like the fact that I can dump faster by pressing the button, than the cuff dump used to do by itself (if you get my drift).

I have a shoulder dump and I think it is nice - particular since I can make more arm movements without accidentally dumping air.

Dane

I have a shoulder dump that dump automatically pretty good. Some valves are so good and don't dump fast enough. A good shoulder dump offers completely hands free operation. I'm not too familiar with the cuff exhaust, but you have to raise your hand above the rest of the suit to dump, right? Well, what if you need this hand/arm in an emergency situation (something unexpected). With mine, I don't even know it's dumping -- it's a none issue.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom