Crystal River Manatee Snorkel Trip Dec. 10, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at an hour drive back home, then out in the morning again, the cost of gas is about fifteen bucks. The money saved from the hotel rez will pay for both days of boat rental, and lunch/dinner. If anybody needs a room. Call them now. :) Gear is packed and waiting to go for next weekend! I just need to find a camera I can use underwater.

**My room is now the only one available, so if you need it, call them now before someone else grabs it***

I will be coming from Orlando.....what time will we be meeting at the dock? Will tanks be avail then or do I need ot reserve now????
Thanks for info,
mary

Well it looks like my trip to see the Tee's is a no go. I am 90% certain that I am going to be working either Sat or Sunday night. It is all secret squirrel / G14 stuff but I am out of this trip.

As far as I know, the dive shop will be opening at 8am. I'm planning on being there by 7am or earlier so I can sit and eat breakfast without rushing to get ready. I will be on the marina side of the pool at about 7:30am. The dive shop is right there so as soon as we get enough people to start loading the boats, we'll decide who's going with whom. As far as I know, Scubafool will Captain one craft, and I'll have the other, unless someone else wants to step up in my stead. Fortunately, we'll be relatively close to some good spots for this time of year, and if we can get geared up and under way by 8:30, we should beat most of the large groups to King's Spring. There will be one group with about fifty people coming. We need to be there and ready to load up quickly. The marina should be crowded by 8am.
I will be getting my tank filled prior to the trip, and possibly refilled during lunch.
We'll need to look at who has to leave early, if anyone. I imagine, like last time, we can head back to shore around 11am, snag lunch, refill tanks, then head out again.
Boats must be checked back in by 5:30, so if we're back at the dock by 5, we should be good. Any other questions? Bueller? Bueller?
Does everyone have a snorkel? Hee hee hee!

Naughty! No Christmas for you! My cellphone has died! It committed cellucide and took its own battery life. It has been ill for some time now. Since the previous phone leapt off the car at 70 mph on the interstate committing vehicular cellucide. Now, its replacement phone, an older model, has been having problems with its ticker. Personally, I think the stress of it all finally took its toll. If you need to contact me;
4pm-midnight @ 352 333 1777
7am-4pm @ 352 281 5995
Calls between midnight and 7am will be met by my laughter, followed by a 3am visit to your bedside while you're sleeping to return the pleasantries of an early wakeup call!

Likely, I will NOT have a phone with me on Saturday morning. Call the dive shop if you have a problem, and need to contact us. I'd say, we're on the water by 9 at the latest. What time we return for lunch will be dictated by the group, and/or anyone needing to return early.

I'm having visions of another "Titanic" happening.............

I was thinking more like the H.M.S. Pinafore...

Besides, there are no icebergs in Crystal River, just rocks.
...and manatees, and downed trees, and other underwater obstructions...
we have enough PFD's right? Which way to the lifeboat?

Hmmm,... good thing I'm not on SCUBAFOOL'S boat! I might REALLY be in touble!
The name's Hazelwood, Joe Hazelwood. Welcome aboard the S.S. Minnow!

Either one is reminding me to pray!

DEEPSEAWOLF:
Scubafool will Captain one craft

Have you thought this through while sane & sober? Well, at least sober?:D

I have a LITTLE bit of experience driving boats, and am ready & willing, but if someone else has more experience, and wants to, sound off.

Edit: Oh, and I hereby name my boat "The Edmund Fitzgerald".

And do you have a street address that I could MapQuest? I will be coming into town on State Road 44, and according to my map I will intersect with Highway 19, but where to go from there?

You probably have more experience piloting a boat than I have! After that whole explosive accident thing with the jon boat at the Pompeii Marina, things have never been the same!
Honestly, the piloting of the boats is still up in the air at this moment.
I have had a good bit of piloting craft but mostly, small boats or runabouts.
I AM seriously looking into getting a USCG Captaincy next year, along with a private pilot and helo license. I'm "willing" to take the helm, as there's no better time than the present to start learning a new boat, especially one that i plan on buying next year anyway. I will definitely want spotters to keep me from mowing down any seacows that might be in our path. I have charts of the area and know where there are a few underwater obstructions. I will DEFINITELY share that with the Captains, whomever they may be. We will have radios that link us back to the dive center in case of emergency, and I have a set for us to use between boats as well. I feel I can confidently pilot any craft after a brief familiarization period. I just have to learn where the clutch pedal is right? :wink:
As for an address, the addy for the diveshop is kind of misleading. You want to be on 6th avenue, not 7th. The map I drew is good for the immediate area. The best address to use is; 614 NW Us Highway 19
Crystal River, FL 34428
This is the address for CRAVINGS. The little cafe where we met last year and watched the "How NOT to interact with manatees" video.
Last year, we had a quick hour for lunch. Within a two minute driving distance is a Checker's, McD's, and some other places that aren't expensive. We brought the boats in around 5pm, then settled in to dinner at Cracker's. Not too pricey and good portions.
The service was great as well. It is also right at the marina so we never had to move the cars except for the lunch run. There is extra parking in the field across from Cracker's front door, but check for no parking signs before you leave a vehicle there.
I don't remember seeing any, but at my age, I might have missed a sign or two.
What do you mean Crystal River isn't in Connecticut?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom