Crotch straps are awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Socks" We do a lot of live aboards so 10-25 dives in a week is normal. I always dive with socks and take a small roll of duck tape in my save a dive kit. We all have different feet, my toes will get hot spots after a few dives. I'll put some tape on the areas in question and leave it for the duration of the trip. It always makes the diving more comfortable for me and I always end up sharing the tape with others. Yes, I also use a crotch strap.

Yep, I just improvised one on my Aqualung Axiom, which is too big for me really, but the next size down was too small......DOH. Tried it for the first time and, like you say, why didn't I do it before??

Snug is comfortable, controllable, reliable and makes for all-round better attitude and consistency in the water. I just need to refine it a bit now so that it doesn't hurt my assets hahahah.

Just saw this ... I no longer have the Bella or I would attach photos (great jacket BCD but lost weight and went with a much smaller bcd). The strap I used was a Dive Right 1" strap with the quick release and the extra stainless steel ring ( UPC# 879642004628 - don't know part #)
The quick link I used in the back was stainless steel similar to the one in the attached document. I tried the Bella on for length of strap needed with plenty of room for adjustment and sewed a loop in the end without the quick release and threaded that through the quick link. I attached the quick link to the velcro wrap that attaches the tank support to the back of the BCD ... it was tight working quarters but two wraps around and it was very secure. The front of the strap was the quick release attached to the loop that goes over the quick release on the cummerbund. I had my husband cut off the stainless steel ring on the strap ... didn't need it and felt it would get in the way spearfishing or lobstering and in the event someone needed to unhook the crotch strap in an emergency. The loop over the BCD release was roomy enough to be moved aside quickly to access the BCD quick release. Hope this helps.
Thanks I will give it a try.

I trained on Horse Collar BC's back in the mid seventies and we all had crotch straps. I still use a Horse Collar BC to this day except it has a parachute style crotch strap. It's way more comfortable and with a single line of strap, it only requires one adjustment point.

Seriously comfortable no boots no socks no rubbing no pressure points no scars
but then there are those divers diving, and then there are those divers, following

EYELINE FINS

71TlALbvG7L._AC_SY606_.jpg

So I can't tell you, about the effects of keeping up with that mob, for 45 minutes

I have mixed feelings about a crotch strap and I am not as "sold on it" as others. I recently (late October / early November) did a trip on the Aquacat LOB in the Bahamas. This was my first trip using a BP/W set-up. The water temps were warm enough that I dove in a swim suit, rash guard & 3mm vest. After a week of diving in a swimsuit with a crotch strap, it was chafing pretty significantly. The webbing on the crotch strap was much more flexible than that on my harness, but it still was not comfortable by about mid-week.

I realize that this would likely not have been an issue at all if I was in a wetsuit, and it is very definitely what some might call a "First World Problem", but it was enough that it made me consider diving without it.
When I started diving with a BP/W it came with a 2 inch wide crotch strap. While I didn't get chafing (I dove with a wet suit) it didn't feel comfortable. I finally ordered and installed a 1-1/2 inch wide crotch strap that got rid of all the discomfort. You can probably get a 1 inch strap. If you're not using a scooter you don't need the extra strength of a wider crotch strap.

To paraphrase the great philosopher Redd Foxx, "crotch straps are not the best thing in the world, but close to it."

To paraphrase the great philosopher Redd Foxx, "crotch straps are not the best thing in the world, but close to it."
I see what you did there.

I approve.

Back
Top Bottom