Question New BCD with crotch Strap, should I use or remove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael Moreira

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I got a new BCD (Halcyon Adventure Pro) that comes with a crotch strap. Since I've only been diving with basic BCDs without a crotch strap, I was wondering if I should remove it or keep it.
I'm a recreational diver and do not use a scooter, but according to the vendor's recommendation, the crotch strap would benefit the overall fit and stabilize the system.

I was thinking of giving it a try and getting used to it. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.

Usually BCDs are built in a way that maximizes their fit, use, etc. If it's designed to work with a crotch strap, I'd keep it in place, adjust it for your comfort level and get used to it. I think you'll be surprised how fast that will be. :)

Hello everyone,

I got a new BCD (Halcyon Adventure Pro) that comes with a crotch strap. Since I've only been diving with basic BCDs without a crotch strap, I was wondering if I should remove it or keep it.
I'm a recreational diver and do not use a scooter, but according to the vendor's recommendation, the crotch strap would benefit the overall fit and stabilize the system.

I was thinking of giving it a try and getting used to it. What are your thoughts?

Thank you.
Yes, definitely use it; the crotch strap provides stability.

Use it.

I was reluctant to use one for a long time. Once I did, everything got better. Should have done it long time ago.

Now, several rigs later, everything has one. If I forget it, not the end of the world, but I can tell something is off and it isn't diving right.

The crotch strap is what tightens everything down. Otherwise, you'll try to tighten the shoulder straps too much and then complain about difficulty getting it on and off.

With a well adjusted waistband and crotchstrap the BPW will have enough stability to enable you to have quite loose armloops (my brain just stopped working, and the word got lost).
However... The most important, while on the surface, the crotchstrap will provide vertical stability. IE; you will have your head above water. The BCD will stay where you want it to stay, and not float up under your armpits.
Use the crotchstrap.

I have added crotch straps to BC's that didn't come with one but had the slots for it. Why? It snugs everything down, makes it more stable, and keeps it from riding up around your ears on the surface.

Use it for all the reasons above.

Back
Top Bottom