Backmount vs BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skier4evr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, new member here with a question regarding two different types of bcd's we're in the process of purchasing. We travel quite a lot, my wife and I, and have been diving for a couple of years now. After having seen too many issues with rental material, we opted to get ourselves a travel-friendly bcd. At the end of the process, we have two models we're hesitating upon: the Hollis LTS and the Xdeep Ghost Deluxe. At about 200$ less, the Hollis LTS appears to have just about everything we're looking for but... no crotch strap, as the Xdeep offers. I'm wondering, if the set up is properly adjusted on the Hollis, is it still at risk of shifting or dangling, or is it possible that, when the harness is properly set, the crotch strap is more of a safety net? Also open to any other hints in regard to the overall thread here.

Regards

And get a normal bpw harness. No need for a chest strap.

Get 4 of these for your rig weights:
Weight pouches and droppy things are obsolete. The highland plates can go on your shoulder straps, if you like, for head down trim. I removed weight from my cam band and switched to those.

Bring a nice weight belt as well.

Save $350 instead?

That's actually what I dive now. Very light and easy to pack, and the price can't be beat. However, I would highly suggest replacing the plastic screws that hold the harness to the wing with metal ones (DGX Assembly Screws, Metal, Set of TWO). The plastic ones lasted exactly two dives. Otherwise build quality is good.
1708533400395.jpeg

My dive buddy has the Ghost and have been very happy with it (and she is fussy about gear.) Regarding your question about the crotch strap, I wouldn't dive without one, but unless you plan on using a scooter, it's really a matter of preference. If other, more seasoned members here say otherwise, I defer to them.

I set those bolts aside and switched to an STA with delrin nuts.

Pirahna has a nice AL STA. IIRC, Dgx's is SS.

My dive buddy has the Ghost and have been very happy with it (and she is fussy about gear.) Regarding your question about the crotch strap, I wouldn't dive without one, but unless you plan on using a scooter, it's really a matter of preference. If other, more seasoned members here say otherwise, I defer to them.
If you use a continuous webbing harness you should really have a crotch strap. The concept is that the shoulder straps are loose enough to let you easily get in and out of the rig and the crotch strap takes up the slack so the unit is snug and secure when you dive. Also it is an attachment point for a scooter and stops the rig sliding up toward your head if you go head down but those benefits are secondary.

If you use a continuous webbing harness you should really have a crotch strap. The concept is that the shoulder straps are loose enough to let you easily get in and out of the rig and the crotch strap takes up the slack so the unit is snug and secure when you dive. Also it is an attachment point for a scooter and stops the rig sliding up toward your head if you go head down but those benefits are secondary.
Agreed. I should have specified in my previous post that I was referring to BCD's with and without crotch straps, rather than not using it on one that does.

Agreed. I should have specified in my previous post that I was referring to BCD's with and without crotch straps, rather than not using it on one that does.
Further up the thread you posted a link to the DGX continuous webbing harness and said that you were diving it. So I was referring to that style of BPW.

It's not uncommon to hear people say they hate a BPW because their shoulder straps are way too tight or the rig slides around. They heard that a crotch strap is optional and rigged their BPW accordingly. I was trying to head off further promulgation of a common misunderstanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom