Crotch straps are awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give another 3 snaps in a "Z" formation to crotch straps. First thing I added to my Zeagle Brigade and it makes all the difference in the world. I actually dove this past weekend during my Rescue course without it (split saddle strap) connected and I felt a bit off in the water. Had to cinch the shoulder straps way down to keep my BC from riding up on teh surface and it still did a bit. Just made me uncomfortable. But for training purposes, I felt it easier to leave them disconnected as it's one less thing to worry about during a rescue. Of course in a real-world situation, one would have to deal with them, but for the purpose of the course, I elected not to make my buddy have to worry about them. But I swear by the thing and I've never gotten any chaffing from it whatsoever. Best $28 I've spent on my kit thus far!

What gives you so many blisters? No booties?

No, I have booties. There is still some movement in them though.
I have wide feet and had to upsize the boots. My fins are the same size as my husband's even though his booties are two sizes bigger.
I tried four or five different boot/fin combos, but none were ideal.

No, I have booties. There is still some movement in them though.
I have wide feet and had to upsize the boots. My fins are the same size as my husband's even though his booties are two sizes bigger.
I tried four or five different boot/fin combos, but none were ideal.
Socks in your boots are the best things ever. Never any chafing, even on intense dive filled vacations. Easier donning and doffing a wetsuit. All around more comfortable. I was introduced to them 300+ dives ago. My first few dives this season I did without them - didn't know where they were - but quickly bought another pair. Best couple of bucks you can spend on gear IMO.

Socks in your boots are the best things ever. Never any chafing, even on intense dive filled vacations. Easier donning and doffing a wetsuit. All around more comfortable. I was introduced to them 300+ dives ago. My first few dives this season I did without them - didn't know where they were - but quickly bought another pair. Best couple of bucks you can spend on gear IMO.
I am the same - I will never again consider a wetsuit dive without socks on. Don't have to be dive socks IMHO - just a decently thick pair that will take up the slack between the wetsuit boot and the foot.

My evidence of the difference - one liveaboard in Egypt (21 dives) where my ankles were cut to ribbons by joints in the booties and another a year later (21 dives again) using the exact same booties and fins but with socks on where my ankles were completely intact (not even redness).

I am the same - I will never again consider a wetsuit dive without socks on. Don't have to be dive socks IMHO - just a decently thick pair that will take up the slack between the wetsuit boot and the foot.

My evidence of the difference - one liveaboard in Egypt (21 dives) where my ankles were cut to ribbons by joints in the booties and another a year later (21 dives again) using the exact same booties and fins but with socks on where my ankles were completely intact (not even redness).
All I actually use is lycra liner socks, work perfect for me.

I'll give another 3 snaps in a "Z" formation to crotch straps. First thing I added to my Zeagle Brigade and it makes all the difference in the world. I actually dove this past weekend during my Rescue course without it (split saddle strap) connected and I felt a bit off in the water. Had to cinch the shoulder straps way down to keep my BC from riding up on teh surface and it still did a bit. Just made me uncomfortable. But for training purposes, I felt it easier to leave them disconnected as it's one less thing to worry about during a rescue. Of course in a real-world situation, one would have to deal with them, but for the purpose of the course, I elected not to make my buddy have to worry about them. But I swear by the thing and I've never gotten any chaffing from it whatsoever. Best $28 I've spent on my kit thus far!
Agreed!! Saddle style crotch strap on my Zeagle Ranger makes for a consistently comfortable dive in all phases above and below

Re: socks. I use the lycra socks as well. I'm one of those people who can't stand seams and tags. One pair of my socks has seams sown on the outside, but if they're inside seams I have to turn them out. Do what works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom