Crotch straps are awesome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Maybe this doesn't need its own thread, but I just want ya'll to know that adding a crotch strap has been a game changer for my buoyancy and comfort. Last year I was on the Juliet (Bahamas liveaboard that I highly recommend) and the captain recommended it after I complained about my BC coming up around my ears when I tilt head-down. She even found one and installed it on my BC (I LOVE that crew!). Now I hook it up at the beginning of a dive, cinch it to the right spot when I get in the water and my BC stays exactly where I want it whether I go upside down or tilted (to look under shelves or take pictures). If Liza hadn't recommended this I never would have thought of it on my own - so I thought I'd mention it here. Especially as some of these BC's aren't easy for curvy figures, it's a nice way to keep it all in place.

They are indeed the bees knees. It's almost always the first gear recommendation I make to my trim and buoyancy students.

Maybe this doesn't need its own thread, but I just want ya'll to know that adding a crotch strap has been a game changer for my buoyancy and comfort. Last year I was on the Juliet (Bahamas liveaboard that I highly recommend) and the captain recommended it after I complained about my BC coming up around my ears when I tilt head-down. She even found one and installed it on my BC (I LOVE that crew!). Now I hook it up at the beginning of a dive, cinch it to the right spot when I get in the water and my BC stays exactly where I want it whether I go upside down or tilted (to look under shelves or take pictures). If Liza hadn't recommended this I never would have thought of it on my own - so I thought I'd mention it here. Especially as some of these BC's aren't easy for curvy figures, it's a nice way to keep it all in place.
Just trying to score hubby bonus points with the wife:

Was it easy to attach? Was your BC prepared for it? Or where did you attach to ( in the back). If to the butt ring, can it still be used to e.g. clip an SMB in?
Do you use 1" or 1.5" or 2" wide webbing?

Even if your attachment did not require a sewing solution, we have a couple of paddling PFDs that could benefit from a crotch strap.... just in case somebody replying were to sit on a sewing solution, we're interested in that too...

I saw a strap riveted to a BC back in the old days. Not adjustable and he was careful to miss the bladder.

I recall that when I mentioned to my wife that the new BC configurations we decided to give a try included something called a "crotch strap," she replied that it sounded like some kind of S&M thing--certainly couldn't be something comfortable. Of course, we both quickly discovered that a crotch strap is not only useful but far less uncomfortable than the name might suggest.

Schwob - No, my BC wasn't prepared for it (I have a Zeagle Zena). When I was on the Juliet, Liza used a zip tie to attach it to the bottom back of my BC. Since then, my husband and I figured out a way to attach it so that it feels more centered. The strap hangs from the bottom back of my BC and I clip it to a D ring on the front while still on the boat. I tighten it up after I get in the water (when I tighten up all the other straps). My strap is 1" webbing and it feels fine. I don't have a butt ring (that would be helpful for a crotch strap). There are a bunch of ways you could do this - rig it however feels best for your wife.

Schwob - No, my BC wasn't prepared for it (I have a Zeagle Zena). When I was on the Juliet, Liza used a zip tie to attach it to the bottom back of my BC. Since then, my husband and I figured out a way to attach it so that it feels more centered. The strap hangs from the bottom back of my BC and I clip it to a D ring on the front while still on the boat. I tighten it up after I get in the water (when I tighten up all the other straps). My strap is 1" webbing and it feels fine. I don't have a butt ring (that would be helpful for a crotch strap). There are a bunch of ways you could do this - rig it however feels best for your wife.
Thanks Kimela, thanks all.
I'll fiddle with it, make sure its removable and next time she dives (may be a while) she can choose.... Since she only just got certified, It may also be a few dives before she might conclude there could be a reason for wanting one... No reason for me to push that, but I like to be ready for in case that realisation sets in...

Last edited:
I have to say that having a crotch strap on any BC is probably one of the best things that can be done for it.

Makes the system far more stable than having to tighten the straps to stop it moving - I ended up with the jacket BC I used on my OW course so tight (to stop it sliding upwards when infalted) that it affected my breathing. Had it had a crotch strap I might have been able to run it looser which would have given me so much more freedom.

I totally agree, crotch straps are awesome. And a tongue twister.
Used one this year for the first time and it made me wonder why not everyone uses them.
Since I began optimizing (tinkering with) my gear, I also stopped giving a crap about what others think about it (and the rest of my modifications).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom