Crotch Strap - can i add one to my BCD if it did not come with one.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried weight belts with soft weight but i don't feel as comfortable. I am naturally very buoyant plus with my suit I need a reasonable amount of weight and much prefer the weight distributed through the jacket. I find my boyency is far better as well. So really looking for a solution and I think the strap is the way to go. Hopefully one of the aftermarket products will do.

In that case, perhaps you should consider keeping minimal weight in your BCD and carry most of it on a weightbelt

Thanks for the replys

It does not ride up when in the 'normal diving posiition' only when I am upside down navigating through the wreck due to the integrated weights.

My advice: Elimnate or significantly reduce the integrated weight in the BC. Get a rubber weight belt and this will help.

Second: I have added a crotch strap to a BC before and it greatly improves the solidness of the fit. It is kinda silly for people to rant and rave about a BP/w (and it's inherent stability) .. but if you investigate this further, most will tell you that you NEED a crotch strap to get this stability.. well why the hell wouldn't it work on a BC too? You should be able to drill a hole or somehow affix a loop of material near the bottom of the BC pack and then from there you can rig a clip on crotch strap that runs to the cummerbund...

Use a large Triglide, scrap neoprene, and neoprene cement to glue a keeper on your BC backing where you can add a crotch strap.
I'd recommend getting 7mm neoprene and slicing down it's length to make a 3mm thickness. That way you have some "grit" for the neoprene cement to glue to rather than just the outer fabric.
I'd recommend using Trident's neoprene cement in a tin w/ the brush applicator. It keeps longer than Mcnett's and doesn't get rubbery as quickly.
I just find it easier to work with.

Sherwood Axis Crotch Strap.jpg

To glue the triglide, glue down the end loop with one scrap of neoprene. Make sure you cover the upper back of the triglide with neoprene cement as well. Then with another longer scrap, glue over the middle bar and end loop. This provides a bit of security. Also make sure the scraps are long and extend well past the triglide when you glue them.

If you want to place a weight belt over the crotch strap then you'll have to place the triglide higher in the back pad. It is hard to put the weight belt over though when you have to sandwich it between the crotch strap and the BC.
The crotch strap itself can be made with 2 Drings, 2 triglides (no teeth), and weightbelt webbing

Edit:
Also this technically voids your warranty.

Scrap neoprene can be found at your local custom wetsuit shop. I'd recommend asking for dive neoprene so your patchwork doesn't get compromised later on. Nice shops will give you a large slice for free.
When glueing, be sure to follow the directions on the back of the tin.

And give the drying time as least a full day to be safe. Minimum 4 hours.
If the neoprene cement is slightly sticky then it's not dry. It should be smooth.
After a day I usually rub a damp cloth lightly over the glued area and let that dry. Then I do a feel check to see if it's still sticky. You'll know what I mean if you press your finger into it then lift it up. You either hear it stick or you don't; you can feel it too.

Last edited:
A very interesting thread.
I´ve also thought about the need of a crotch strap for my BCD. It has weight integrated pockets but, when I surface and inflate it, it´s notorious how high it goes and makes it a little uncomfortable. A crotch strap would do the work.
I´ve seen how to attach the strap in the back, but where is it attached in the front ? I guess it should go round the velcro pad in the front. Please, show me.

Attachments

• IMG_7010.jpg
    IMG_7010.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7011.jpg
    IMG_7011.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
A very interesting thread.
I´ve also thought about the need of a crotch strap for my BCD. It has weight integrated pockets but, when I surface and inflate it, it´s notorious how high it goes and makes it a little uncomfortable. A crotch strap would do the work.
I´ve seen how to attach the strap in the back, but where is it attached in the front ? I guess it should go round the velcro pad in the front. Please, show me.

Yup, same problem with my old BC, the Sherwood Axis. Only it didn't have a velcro cumberbum, so it was ALWAYS riding up on me.
Honestly for the BC surface removal I just unclipped my chest strap, lifted my arms up, and slipped out of the BC. My instructor was a little worried to say the least.

What you should do with the crotch strap is clip your waist strap's plastic quick release through the loop so you can........quick release. :wink:
Don't use the velcro as you'd need a very big loop to do that and even then releasing it would be next to impossible.
Make sure you can do two things when it's clipped in
1) you can slide the crotch strap to the side
2) you can fit a finger and a thumb in the loop to unclip the quick release. My loop was about 4in tall, my Bp/W has a 4.5 in loop.

It shouldn't be so tight that you're unable to do this. Really it should be so the tip top of the crotch strap is right at the top of the quick release or about an inch higher. That will give you enough slack to slide it around so you can access the quick release clip if need be.

If you're able to offset the quick release clip so it's not under the loop then do that.

I forgot to mention in my above post (I edited and added it already). If you use neoprene cement to fashion your crotch strap give the drying time a full day untouched.
If the neoprene cement is slightly sticky then it's not dry. It should be smooth.
After a day I usually rub a damp cloth lightly over the glued area and let that dry. Then I do a feel check to see if it's still sticky. You'll know what I mean if you press your finger into it then lift it up. You either hear it stick or you don't; you can feel it too.

Divers need weight, at least when wearing significant exposure protection. Some of that weight will require air in the BC, especially when deep with considerable air in the cylinder(s). Proper weighting is important but does not consistently result in no air in the BC. To suggest so is nonsense or based on very limited diving conditions.

If the BC has a Velcro cummerbund be sure to activate the compensation by extending the elastic as you close it. It needs to feel tight when you are standing. Once prone in the water you won't know it's there. It I prefer to put weight on a belt or harness with only the weight required high on the body for trim being integrated. A jacket fully loaded with weights is a bad idea but within reason it will work when used correctly. The designers were not idiots.

"Stab jacket" does originate from stabilizer jacket but is often used as a pejorative term by proponents of harness based systems.

Pete

Perhaps I could sew one of the plastic clips of the crotch strap to the BCD front cummerbund. In this way it will be in a fixed position in the front.

emoreira, what type of BC do you have? Maybe I can help brainstorm with you. Even if you get the a Crotch strap with a quick release you'll still have a loop as you're connection point to the front, so I don't think your solution would be ideal.

If you could offset the quick release buckle of the BCD waist attachment to the right side, you could then tread the front loop of the strap with the left portion and then clip it to the right. That way, there would be no pressure exercised on the release by the strap which could inadvertendly unfasten it but in situation when you need to remove the BCD, relasing the quick release and sliding the loop over it could be done in minimal time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom